Suggestions Please

nelly1

im after a car that i can put mt trials bike into

a wheelchair access doblo seems perfect a ramp lowered floor 2 seats in the rear for the wife and kids when they come to observe

now for the spanner in the works i have a budget of 2500 

cant have a trailer or rack where i live im surrounded by pikeys

thanks for any help you may be able to give

You will find that a Doblo without wheelchair adaptation, if that is acceptable, will be fine. I use a standard Doblo which takes one trials bike diagonally leaving room for up to 3 passengers, or 2 bikes with the rear seats removed (I have adapted the seat brackets to make them qd). No need to fold

handlebars down. The standard Doblo has a flat floor as opposed to the lowered central channel in the wheelchair version, so rolling bikes in and out is a bit easier. I just carry a plank of wood to use as a ramp. Wheelchair version also has less ground clearance, an issue when accessing some trials start fields!

You can find a decent Doblo within your budget. Very reliable and economical car, diesel engines good for 150,000 plus.

Edited by cleanorbust

• 3 months later...

Hi guys.

Sorry for resurrecting a four month old thread, but.... I gots to know!

(1) Nelly, did you get the Fiat Doblo? If so, how is it working out for you?

(2) Clearnorbust, do you have to fit the bike in diagnolly in the Doblo, or is there enough room for it to got straight forward and back?

You will find that a Doblo without wheelchair adaptation, if that is acceptable, will be fine. I use a standard Doblo which takes one trials bike diagonally leaving room for up to 3 passengers, or 2 bikes with the rear seats removed (I have adapted the seat brackets to make them qd). No need to fold
handlebars down. The standard Doblo has a flat floor as opposed to the lowered central channel in the wheelchair version, so rolling bikes in and out is a bit easier. I just carry a plank of wood to use as a ramp. Wheelchair version also has less ground clearance, an issue when accessing some trials start fields!
You can find a decent Doblo within your budget. Very reliable and economical car, diesel engines good for 150,000 plus.

Thanks, Pit

I can jump in here on the Doblo question.  The bike goes in diagonally with no seats out (front wheel to the left of the single rear seat).  If you take out a seat then you can drop the front wheel in to the rear footwell and get the bike fore and aft against the side of the car (or remove both seats and fit two bikes like this).  Seats are held in by two bolts so it does not take long to undo them, once you have initially removed and greased them.

I can jump in here on the Doblo question.  The bike goes in diagonally with no seats out (front wheel to the left of the single rear seat).  If you take out a seat then you can drop the front wheel in to the rear footwell and get the bike fore and aft against the side of the car (or remove both seats and fit two bikes like this).  Seats are held in by two bolts so it does not take long to undo them, once you have initially removed and greased them.

Thanks 2stroke4stroke.

Would that go for all trials bikes? I assume they're all about the same size?

I'm thinking of getting a 250 - 300 cc one.

Thanks, pit.