Advice On Snail Cam

neilboxer

Hi all, I just refitted my rear wheel and set my cam tensioners to the same markings each side. The wheel doesn't look like its in the center of the swing arm how would I check that? One of the snail cams does look a little battered but wouldn't have thought it would throw it out that much? Any advice ? Thanks in advance

Theoretically the swingarm can be bend, than the wheel should still be in straight aligned with the front sprocket (so the wheel would be not straight in the swingarm.

100 degrees is a lot. Sure those nails are not damaged, or the swingarm is damaged or so? Friend of mine had the part of the swingarm where the snail sits on damaged.

The only other possibility I can think of is the wheel is not centered on the hub, or the tyre is bend (give it too much air and it will probably sit centered).

The hub should be perpundicular to the front sprocket, so the sprockets are lighned up propperly.

The hub is set slanted most often because the chain is on one side so it goes heavier to slide it.

Edited by crazybond700

You could align the rear wheel with the front by using two straight edges. It's an easy way to check both wheels are parallel to prevent it crabbing. Two rips of ply wood or MDF work well.

Stand the bike upright with the tyres fulling inflated. Use some blocks to raise the straight edges off the ground a few inches then push one straight edge against the front and rear wheels on one side and then same the other on the other side. The front wheel will find it's straight ahead position between the two straight edges and the rear will show up if it's not straight ahead. You can then adjust the cams to find perfect alignment. Once the wheel is tight you can mark the cams with a sharp punch for future reference. 

As mentioned above good to visually check chain alignment. It must run dead true.