James May Ossa

aircooled4ever

It's about the fourth time they've tried to sell it now.   I've no idea why a bike sitting in James May's shed for 12 months adds about £3k to the price. No-one in their right mind would pay that for it.

I read 'thinning my collection' as I bought this hoping to make a quick killing with it

It's not really adding £3000 is it ?

That bike is very tidy looking and I am surprised it only fetched £1500 at auction, I have seen some ridiculous prices achieved on trials bikes far less attractive than this Ossa.

I would have thought £2500 would have been a more realistic figure and he would have made a sale by now, how many 1980's bike do you see as clean as this one ?

It's not really adding £3000 is it ?

That bike is very tidy looking and I am surprised it only fetched £1500 at auction, I have seen some ridiculous prices achieved on trials bikes far less attractive than this Ossa.

I would have thought £2500 would have been a more realistic figure and he would have made a sale by now, how many 1980's bike do you see as clean as this one ?

Original price he wanted was £4k so yes, £3k over priced at that time. It's been gradually reduced throughout four attempts to sell.

£2500 is still way over what it's worth. Ossas just don't make that sort of money.

As a bike to use, it needs tyres and shocks which is £300 added to whatever the asking price.  Add to that the fact that the mechanical state of the motor is unknown as the statement about a professional rebuild is worthless until the engine is tried and proven to be (I've heard some professional rebuilds before...) so there is the potential for more cost there. You have to wonder how well it would perform with that carb in actual competition as well.

A tidy MAR ready to go can be bought for £1200 - £1500 so why would you want to pay £2500 for that one? Half a dozen trials and the look has been scuffed off and lost anyway, along with any 'value' those looks may have added.

If it's just for the looks and not to ride, then they're wrong if you want to nit-pick it. Decals are MK2 and wrong shape and colour and the MK1, which is what that is, didn't have the alloy tank and decals, it had the fibreglass tank with broad green stripe painted on, as did the sidepanels. It doesn't even have the Mick Andrews decal... I'd guess the lug on the front fork that holds the brake plate is broken off as it has a heath robinson torque arm fitted which is not a MAR fitment. Guards should be alloy and hubs polished not black.  All academic I know but if you're asking top money for a bike, it's only going to appeal to collectors, not someone who wants one to compete on, and a collector, if they know what they're about would expect it to be accurately restored. That isn't.  If it didn't have the May connection, I'd wager people would be calling it over priced.

To have one just to look at, you could buy a bike for around £700 and just do a cosmetic rebuild on it, not having to worry about mechanicals. It would look just as good or better than that and you'd still have change from £1500 total.

Seller is just trying to make a killing using May's name

• Like 3