Colin Cass

laird387

Motorcycle sport lost a true all-round enthusiast with the passing of Colin Cass recently. The former Huntington resident died at his Scunthorpe home. He was in his late seventies and  leaves a widow, June. Colin Cass was a founding father of the Eboracum Motorcycle Club of York from the early sixties. He was also East Yorks Centre President in 1983.  His expertise, with his late wife Margaret encompassed every discipline in the motorcycle sport.

The Eboracum club in those heady days staged road racing at Elvington Airfield, scrambles at Terrington Bank, trials at North Grimston and Rosedale, grass tracks at several venues in the York district andenduros in Dalby and Staindale Forests. With Margaret they manned stage timing from the VW Caravette motor home at many major championship events. The Caravette also served as base camp at the Scottish Six Days Trial  where Colin acted as a scrutineer and an observer. With his late brother Gordon he was an all action competitor on three wheels. Many are the times that Gordon was underneath aBultaco trials outfit rather than on top of it. Sadly, due mainly to land changing hands, the Colonial Trial is no more. The efforts of Colin to get the status up to national level took a lot of effort and many years. The Rosedale event was the jewel in the East Yorks Centre crown. All the big names contested the trial. It was one event that every top rider wanted to win.

The sad news has just filtered through to the Press. The funeral service has been held.

• Like 2

I am sorry to hear about Colin. I remember him from riding trials in the East Yorks area in the 70's, he used to organise events for the Eboracum club, including the very popular Colonial Trial, held in the winter months. He was always a happy bloke with a ready answer, a real enthusiast. My condolonces to his family.

PeterB.

Condolences to his family. I was one of the many who remember him from enduro's, he would usually be in the remotest place manning the quickest check, always ready for a some banter when having your time card marked.

I did events all over Britain, he was always there. You always knew it was him the timing clock had a cover on it that said oy wot time is it