250...... But Which One?

chasbo

I'm after a modern trials bike to ride with my son when he's practicing at our local club. I've just sold my Beamish that I had owned and ridden for two years, but I have never competed. But I'm hoping to change that.

People I've spoken to have recommended I go for a 250 as they're much easier on the inexperienced but I'm unsure wether to go with beta or gasgas, and then there's the jotagas. I'd ideally like to spend around the £2000, but could go a bit higher for the right bike.

I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, but your advice would be much appreciated.

If you have a club I would suggest asking some of the members if you could ride a beta and Gas Gas 250. I bet a few of them would be willing to let you have a go, and that's the best way to tell what you would like.

If you want mellow I har the Beta is often the better call, if snappy the Gas Gas but I bet you would be supper happy on ether.

You've got to ride them to know which suits you best,can you cadge a ride off anyone?Once you ve made your choice buy the best condition one you can,a nice 2012 would be a better choice than a rough 2013 for instance

If you've never competed and are starting out, a late Scorpa SY would also suit you.

The way the old beamish picked up is much like modern 4 strokes so don't rule one out either.

Most riders at your local trials event will happily talk about their bikes and some will let you swing a leg over (their bike only) so this may give you a clue to help also.

If it was me, Scorpa SY250F if I could find one, or a 2010/11 Sherco, nice and smooth too.

Thanks for the advice everyone. But I'm not sure I'm good enough to tell wether a bike suits me or not. The only modern bike I've ridden was my mates 270 rev3, and that blew me away compared to the beamish.

I'm just thinking about the living with them side, spares availability / prices. Am I right to be still a bit concerned about gas gas? Why do shercos seem to be cheaper than other makes? Am I thinking about it too much?

For £2000 you should be able to pick up a decent bike whether its a 250 or a 200, whether its a beta, scorpa, gasgas or sherco, pick a well looked after bike and go ride, the sooner you do the sooner you'll stop worrying about which one to get.

How about only spending £1500 on the bike and then spend the other £500 on tailoring the bike to you, if you're not going to take the sport too seriously anything post 2004 in good nick will do fine.

For £2000 you should be able to pick up a decent bike whether its a 250 or a 200, whether its a beta, scorpa, gasgas or sherco, pick a well looked after bike and go ride, the sooner you do the sooner you'll stop worrying about which one to get.

How about only spending £1500 on the bike and then spend the other £500 on tailoring the bike to you, if you're not going to take the sport too seriously anything post 2004 in good nick will do fine.

Sorry, I don't want to high jack the thread, but I'm struggling to make my mind up too. You say anything post 2004 will do...... Did something change specifically around that year that makes a difference?

Edited by adj

Sorry, I don't want to high jack the thread, but I'm struggling to make my mind up too. You say anything post 2004 will do...... Did something change specifically around that year that makes a difference?

There were some changes to engines and frames around that time maybe just before or maybe just after depending on the make and model, mainly to do with weight and performance. Bikes change all the time it was more about age and condition for the money.

If you've never competed and are starting out, a late Scorpa SY would also suit you.

The way the old beamish picked up is much like modern 4 strokes so don't rule one out either.

Most riders at your local trials event will happily talk about their bikes and some will let you swing a leg over (their bike only) so this may give you a clue to help also.

If it was me, Scorpa SY250F if I could find one, or a 2010/11 Sherco, nice and smooth too.

dont bother with the scorpa, try a gg beta and sherco im sure lads at earl shilton will let you ride. Otherwise take a trip to john lee motorcycles see what they have they will be able to help im sure.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'm going to have a look at a beta EVO 250 2010. I'll let you know how it goes

And hello to Ourian , I think we've met and I'll see you at the next trial mate.

Thanks again.

Since I’ve not been actively involved in recent years, the difference between the different years is something I struggle to follow particularly with GasGas, Sherco and Scorpa. With Montesa/Honda and Beta, the big model changes are obvious with changes in-between seeming to be small detail changes which I assume could largely be retrofitted. With GasGas particularly, there seem to of been a lot of changes to the frames, often only quite minor, but with common engines? Then some much more sweeping changes, where it looks like a major redesign. Information on what changed when seems to be variable depending on source!