Newbie From Leicestershire

adj

Hi to all

So, I've decided to give trials ago. It's something I've been toying with for sometime and as a friend has recently bought a bike my minds made up! I've been riding bikes on and off since I was about 8. Trial, Enduro, motocross and a little bit on the road. Also been into quads, karts, jet skis, basically anything with an engine.

So, I need to make a purchase and get myself a bike......... my dilemma now is what bike to buy. Do I start off with something cheap and older, or am I going to notice the benefit as a trials novice if I go for something newer. I've been having a look around and have found a few quite varied bikes that have caught my eye.

2004 Sherco 290

2007 Sherco 250

2011 Beta 250

2014 Jotagas 250

I've riden my friends 2012 Sherco 290, which felt good, but then I've nothing to compare it to.

I don't necessarily think I need anything as big as a 290, but then whatever I opt for, it's only going to go as much as I twist the throttle.

If a buy a 2004 bike is it going to feel out dated and put me at a disadvantage? I'm sure it would probably be more capable than I am and maybe a good starting point? I'm thinking if it's a little more cheap and cheerful I might be a little less concerned about the more frequent knocks and bangs it's going to take while I'm getting to grips with the new discipline. But then I am drawn to the newer bikes. I do like my toys to be very clean, tidy and well maintained. Also a later bike will obviously be further developed, probably lighter, more reliable, easier to ride etc and so give me the best start.

I do really like the design of the Jotagas and like to go for something a little different from the norm, but I don't want one if I'm not going to be able to get parts for it when I need them, or have trouble selling it when I decide to upgrade.

I know bike choice is quite a subjective topic, but any advice or guidance you can offer would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Well my ten peneth worth..... I'm sort of in the same position, anything I buy will be more than capable than I am, but I fancy something new and shiny and at the cutting edge of development, so iv been looking at new Sherco ST300's.

I tend to keep my bikes so I see it as a long term investment that I will "grow" into.

It's only £300 more than the 250 too so I kinda think one bike to learn and develop my skills on.

Out of the four bikes mentioned and if it was my choice as a beginner, it would be a toss up between the 2011 Beta 250 and the 2007 Sherco 250, I'd probably end up with the Sherco simply because the kick start is on the right side and no other reason, both bikes are more than capable of doing what a beginner can.

But it depends on what you want to do, is your aim to win and score points or just enjoy the day, if the latter then any bike will do that.

Best advice - pick one that's been well looked after by an old boy who plods around on the easy route, don't forget to check the condition of the bottom of the bash plate, its a good indication of what the bike has done in the past, also check for signs of cracking on the frame and engine mountings, does the fan kick in when it's warmed up?

Good luck

Ourian

Thanks for the advice.

I'd not noticed that the Beta kickstart is on the left. Not sure I could live with that, I'd be forever going for the wrong side.

Sherco seem a pretty safe choice. Would I notice a big difference riding a 2007 in comparison to a newer bike?

To start with it's going to be about the fun, but I'm keen to progress and have a go at a few trials at our local club fairly soon.

Would I notice a big difference riding a 2007 in comparison to a newer bike?

To start with it's going to be about the fun, but I'm keen to progress and have a go at a few trials at our local club fairly soon.

Adj in all fairness if you had ridden a 2007 for a few years and then got a newer model say a 2012, I dare say that you would notice a difference when comparing the two bikes, but if you haven't ridden a 2007 before then you have nothing to compare it against. I guess the main difference would be the weight, but it will only be a few kilos difference, however some say less weight is not always a good thing.

The experts will have a new bike every year or two, reason being that if they don't then they are at a disadvantage to those who do.

When you're at beginners level it's slightly different, you have to master balance, clutch and throttle control, judge the terrain, pick the right route, learn the different techniques to get over different obstacles and until you have got those under your belt a newer model isn't going to make that much of a difference to your riding ability.

There are plenty of old boys out there that turn up on a seemingly beaten up pre65s or old twinshocks with drum brakes and they just walk all over the modern bikes ridden by beginners.

Sometimes it's just best to pick a bike you fancy learn on that and then when have the basics mastered treat yourself to something newer.

It really is all about whether you want to be highly competitive or just have a lot of fun messing about on a bike in the mud.

Highly competitive = newer bike, having fun = anything will do

Once you start riding you'll have more opportunities to chat to other riders and maybe have a try on their bikes, the problem for a beginner is the amount of choice you have, 2 stroke, four stroke, 2007 model, 2010 model, 2012 model, 200cc, 250cc, 260cc 290cc 300cc, beta, scorpa, gasgas, sherco, jotagas etc etc.

Pick yourself a nice condition 200 or 250 that you like the look of and that's within your budget, then go practice falling off.

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice guys. It's much appreciated.

I can see both points of view. I have no problem spannering, I've always done my own maintenance, and in some ways an older bike makes sense to me as I'm likely to be less precious about it getting dirty and dented. On the flip side I do like things to be up to date, shiny and new, and to know it's not had a long and hard life prior to my ownership.

Either way I'm really looking forward to finding a bike, putting some time in getting comfortable on it and then setting myself some new challenges and learning some new skills.

Cheers

Adam