Montesa 4Rt 260 Price In Rest Of Eu

scrambler

As the title really. I am struggling to find the price of a new 4rt on the continent. With the falling value of the Euro I assume they must be a fare bit cheaper over there.

I've tried looking on some foreign eBay sites but I can't find any new 4rt's for sale.

I live in the UK by the way.

Edited by scrambler

Thanks for the reply.

If you don't want to register the bike, can you avoid certain taxes?

Even if the taxes are paid, Montesa seem to be the worst brand for over pricing in the UK by quite a margin. Vertigo prices seem almost identical both sides of the channel.

Don't forget to add the VAT on the import duty! Soon adds up as any vehicle, car or bike over 49cc has to have a NOVA. No NOVA = no registration!

No import duty in EEC - free trade

I was working on the price on the Zona example with tax paid there & the euro @ 1.35

Still a grand cheaper or more on a Repsol

If you pay the vat in Belgium at their rate - then it would satisfy the NOVA rules in uk, as tax is paid in the EU

I deal with a lot of farm machinery & people are now starting to import this now, direct due to the favourable exchange (killing our exports though)

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

The vat is not payable if you are vat registered, just need to account for it in the uk, so if you were registered you can take the vat off the price, but it has to be paid in either Belgium or uk or accounted for. Once thats done you can register.

At least i understand it that way.

Clearly Honda uk think we are all daft and will give them the extra grand, no ones bought one at these inflated prices have they?

The vat is not payable if you are vat registered, just need to account for it in the uk, so if you were registered you can take the vat off the price, but it has to be paid in either Belgium or uk or accounted for. Once thats done you can register.

At least i understand it that way.

Clearly Honda uk think we are all daft and will give them the extra grand, no ones bought one at these inflated prices have they?

As a private user - the Vat is payable in EEC country at that country's prevailing rate or back in the uk @ 20% irrespective of whether you are registering it or not

Vat is Belgium is 21%, so no point paying their Vat and diddling yourself of 1%

Otherwise it's tax evasion

To reclaim the Vat, you'd have to justify a Trials bike was for business use (deliveries) & of course, the business be Vat registered

Your accountant may have difficulty proving that it was a business asset

Edited by johnnyboxer

Mr dabster

you can only claim vat back if you are vat registered and you can prove it's for business use!

the general consensus being that you collect vat for the government on things that you sell or services you supply and receive relief by way of a refund through goods and services that you use for your business, ie clothing,machinery etc.

If you could prove it was for business use ie you were a top ten rider who rode for a living or ran a trials school or coaching and/or hire business (you may still not get full depreciation or relief) then forget it, if you get investigated for vat fraud you will probably end up paying 3 or 4 times the amount you initially owed.

It's a nice idea but people were trying this with bultacos 30 years ago and the days of doing this and getting away with it are gone I'm afraid! !!!

I have bought vans in from Belgium and I dont pay the vat there. I am vat registered, give details to the dealer passport etc.

Once here you can register it and no vat is reclaimable because you didnt pay it. Not so sure how nova works for bikes as never done one, but a vehicle is a vehicle?

if you sell on you charge vat and give this to our etonion bombers.

So in theory vat free if you keep it, and are vat registered AND dont sell it.

BUT regardless of whether this is how it works for bikes, they are way cheaper with vat.

Edited by nigel dabster

I have bought vans in from Belgium and I dont pay the vat there. I am vat registered, give details to the dealer passport etc.

Once here you can register it and no vat is reclaimable because you didnt pay it. Not so sure how nova works for bikes as never done one, but a vehicle is a vehicle?

if you sell on you charge vat and give this to our etonion bombers.

So in theory vat free if you keep it, and are vat registered AND dont sell it.

BUT regardless of whether this is how it works for bikes, they are way cheaper with vat.

Not sure that's quite right, but hey-ho

Vat is payable either there or here, but in reality it's just a 'netting off' exercise - as long as you have some other vat able sales to do that against

Ok with a Van, but proving a Trials bike is work related is the difficult one - so you end up paying it, somewhere along the line

Edited by johnnyboxer

You only get a NOVA reference number for the chassis / frame number of the vehicle when it's imported which is the link between HMRC & the DVLA to prove duty / VAT has been paid. This was introduced in April 2013. Without it you can not road register it now or in the future. £5.00 a day fine for late notification.  See link.  

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu

Edited by gasserguy