Difference Between Renthal Grip Compounds

jml

G'day all, 

I've currently got myself a set of the Medium compound Renthal trials grips and curiosity has got me pondering what I'm potentially missing out on with the 2 other compounds. Has anyone used any 2 or all 3 of them and can comment on the differences between them? Feeling, impact resistance, wear and tear?

Bonus question: For a new riders would a softer grip be better to reduce impacts from bad form?

Edited by jml

Soft ones feel nicer but don't last long,particularly if you drop it,the hard ones I found too harsh for my hands even with gloves.Id stay with the mediums

How long are we talking about? 3-6 months? I'm happy to change grips a few times a year, especially since how easy the Renthal ones are to change. As I'm a newbie and hit stuff without a little harder than a more refined rider I'm just worried all the vibrations and jolts might be no good for me.  :hyper:

Edited by jml

Hello, I have used them and in my opinion medium is best for grip and wear and tear but I now use S3 tri grips; which I think are much better in the way they feel, although they do not last very long.I think that grips fall into the same area as tyres,if you want grip you have to change them more often than you would like to. 

I had the sames ones on previously but in Red (which I think is a medium compound). I really liked them but they did all of a sudden wear out and become slippery which I think led to a few struggles with bike control. One day I looked at them and went "holy smokes, they're knackered". 

I use the firm (hardest) Renthal the diamond pattern seems to feel sharper and grip more because you they don't flatten out when you squeeze them.

When I did Enduro I always got blisters from soft grips so changed to Hard, because they stay in shape you don't need to grip as tightly and the sharp edges of the waffle part of the grip cuts through the mud after a fall. I never got blisters again yet you would think it works the opposite way about.

Your grips are worn if the very tops of the diamonds have started to lose their sharp points. :thumbup:  

jml wrote:

"Bonus question: For a new riders would a softer grip be better to reduce impacts from bad form?"

Sadly I don't think "bad form" comes into it. I've never found that the behaviour of those who exhibit it, for example by squeezing in at the front of queues or gleefully scooting past observers on their final lap without pausing to thank them, is even remotely linked to the density of their handlebar grips.

If only it were so.

• Like 5

Hade a set of soft on my bike when I got it and changed to the medium and like them better, my wife has a generic brand X and are softer, she likes that better, my daughters bike has a set of what seems to be medium Hebo grips and I like them better than my wife's but still prefer the Renthals more. Was planning on trying the S3's next go.

As for time I think I got a year out of my first set but really should have changed them at 6 months, I am guessing I will get 9 to 12 on the current set as I will change them sooner than my last set, and am guessing my wife's will last a year as sh isn't a hard rider and my kids maybe 2 years for the same reason.

i always used renthal mediums on all my bikes. One of the first things when I bought a new bike was put renthal mediums on.

The soft compound are great but last no time at all

The hard ones are great also but are too harsh on your gloves

The medium ones last a couple of seasons no sweat.

• Like 1