Bultaco 175 Rebuild Or Modify?

aircooled4ever

Morning all,

I have a 175 sherpa in the shed (engine number starting 221) that's been there for 5 years that I feel I must do something with.

It started off with the usual scenario of buying a bargain that turned out to be a wreck.

Bike was stripped by me and it needs all the usual parts ie rod, mains, piston, rebore etc.

On reflection I didn't pay a lot for it so it's a case of do it and ride it or chuck it on fleabay as a project barnfind and put it back into something else.

I had largely forgotten about it as I have a few bikes, but what changed my interest was that recently I went to a trial and saw a guy on a blue tank 350 bulto doing really well which made me wonder if it's possible to change the top end?

I understand that the 175 was a schoolboy derived bike of the time but was it just simply a sleeved down 250?

What does everyone think about conversion, is it possible and what the best conversion and which parts are interchangeable?

I welcome your thoughts as I'm normally a fantic man and I don't know too much about bultacos, all thoughts welcome please!!!

They are a 250 engine yes, so converting it to a 250 is easy enough.  They have a different chassis from the blue 350 model as they use a chassis from the '76 - '78 250 models, these differed by being shorter and with a slightly different headstock design which used shorter forks and a shallower bottom yoke.  This chassis is a nimbler chassis than the 350 and the 250 Sherpas are good bikes, usually overlooked by punters in favour of the bigger model. The 250 isn't lacking in power and a much better bet than 175cc.

• Like 4

I had a 175 cc too the engine wasn't bad at all surly lacks top end power but was very controllable in low rews and Speed. Personal I would build it up as it was if most parts are still there as there are so little of them left. As a running and proper set up175cc model it's very collectable.

The convert to a 250cc model is surly more competitive.

It's up to you it's Your bike.

• Like 4