The New Electric Adult Mecatecno Dragonfly Is Coming

gasgas249uk

I'm riding an "clutchless "EM after 40 years of clutched bikes.  My opinion (which nobody asked for) is that rookie, novice, amateur/sr. ama riders can ride sans clutch on 99% of their routes with no issues.  In fact, I think an adult just starting on bikes/trials would learn much faster/advance more quickly on my EM than a clutched bike.  However, advanced classes will need a clutch and flywheel...imho.

Of course a manufacturer could make a clutched/flywheeled/transmissioned EM-type bike...but it would likely be far too heavy to be competitive. My EM is pretty hefty...there may be some software improvements one could do to "improve" the bikes...but its good/interesting as is.  The low-end throttle response on my EM is beyond compare in the clutched/gas bike world. 

So...clutch or no-clutch is a matter of section severity imho.

I'm riding an "clutchless "EM after 40 years of clutched bikes. My opinion (which nobody asked for) is that rookie, novice, amateur/sr. ama riders can ride sans clutch on 99% of their routes with no clutch.

So...clutch or no-clutch is a matter of section severity imho.

Do you mean this to apply to petrol bikes or just electric? I.e. ride most sections without a clutch on a petrol bike?

I'm a novice and I think I use the clutch too much perhaps..

• 7 months later...

Based upon the fact that there's been no marketing of any sort giving any indication of a new bike it's likely that this bike is some way off. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

When I went to the factory Jordi was testing to destruction air cooled electric motors.  They were not getting the desired results in tests so they  we're changing the design and cooling of the engine . 

Mecatecno  didn't have plans to just buy engines off the shelf and want to bring out a performing new bike but in order to do this they have to commission new engine casings and internal components.  Unless they can just buy these parts the cost of this is just incredible with each mould or stamp  for just one component costing tens of thousands of pounds.   An investment of this size takes an incredible amount of confidence that your product is going to sell by the bucket load. If they can't rely on this maybe they can get payback over a long period of time , but can they / do they want to wait for the return. In any case the owner will be trying to encourage investment from others to help him with the new bike development. 

Now electric experts Tarrot have entered the scene. 

So as normal ,it's all about confidence and the money.

On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎12 at 8:27 AM, dan williams said:

Aside from making the motor an integrel frame element to save weight I don't see there being much to improve on as electric motor development is pretty advanced. I think most future improvment is squarely in the battery energy density. Still looking forward to seeing this bike though.

Actually I can see one other big advantage to an electric bike and that is in the area of transport. Not having to deal with gasoline or gear oils a bike that easily breaks into two or three major pieces that can be transported in a small car without too much hassle would be a major change in the way most of us do trials. Plug the battery into the lighter for a last bit of charge on the way to ride, get to the venue, a few minutes to assemble and off you go.

Dan you should contact Dale Malasek........he is going to be the importer for these bikes

its all poopoo .. a good electric motor will be good for any type of bike so its not just about a select market for trials bikes and it also dont cost that much to develope said motor.. there are already good motors on the market that just need a little bit of a redesign to take good advantage of water cooling. its all about making money without any new investment ( milk it until stock/demand runs out, just like cars and apple phones :-) ) . controlers and batterys are the real bottle necks ( controllers mainly ) 

I've just heard from the Boss and he says  they are still working hard on the project but that there still several issues to be sorted out. He states that the outcome is quite promising.

The Dragonfly that I saw at Mecatecno was more advanced and recognisable as a trials bike than the current offerings of electric adult bikes. I'm sorry but I can give more details because he asked me not to and also I guess now it could have changed.

Fingers crossed it all goes well.