Sherco out?

toofasttim

From an interview with Marc Tessier (http://www.sherco-moto.com/mailnews/1003/index.html#noticia_1):

"I think that, on a local scale, trials is in good health. But, on a world scale, the situation is totally opposite. Trials does not live up to the expectations of its followers. I'm thinking of withdrawing Sherco from the World Championship if the situation does not improve in a short time."

Leave Grimbo up the creek without a paddle!

Edited by TooFastTim

I dunno what Tessier's up to. The old adage of "what wins on Sunday sells on Monday" seems to have escaped him. I certainly wouldn't consider a bike that wasn't present in the W/C regardless of how good it is.

Anybody got any other ideas of what expectations Tessier's referring to?

I posted the story a couple of days ago on the sherco page, then Tim posted half a tale on this page and everyone starts clutching at straws.

Om the WR front, many have stated that it's not going in the right direction, I agree with him/them, and have posted many times over the past few years, (forget world championships) because trying to keep people involved in WR happy was hurting the clubs, people are now seeing this and getting back to what they enjoy most, when the FIM get total say over the WR series back they may be able to revive it.

This is copied and pasted from the sherco news letter.

Sherco is celebrating its 5th anniversary this month. Back in November of 1998 the first of the 1999 2.5 trials model began being produced at the Caldes de Montbui factory. A total of 1,000 or these models were produced in the first year or production.

In order to commemorate this anniversary Sherco News is happy to provide this interview with Sherco CEO Marc Teissier. Marc had a dream to produce a world class trials motorcycle and it is obvious from the success that Sherco has obtained, that his dream is being realized. In fact it appears that Sherco has grown faster and larger than he might have originally dreamed.

[ HighRes ]

What do you have to say about the growth that Sherco has undergone in such a short period of time?

The work carried out by the Sherco team during these four and a half years has been truly remarkable, though we cannot forget that they were highly experienced people that stood on their ground perfectly. Hopefully we can apply the same successful method to the Enduro and Supermotard categories but, in the meantime, I can surely state that we have started in the best possible way.

Your entry in different market sectors - Trials, Enduro, Supermotard,… - Had it been previously planned or has it been influenced by the market evolution?

Although we had started working only on trials, we clearly aimed to become a firm specializing in cross-country bikes. Later, the possibility of acquiring the HRD trademark boosted the process by making things much easier for us, but the idea was not new. We have to consider, for example, that the recently released Enduro 4T engine has been for a long time in project and designing process, before rumours about its creation started going round.

Which are, in your opinion, the advantages Sherco has compared to other firms with a higher productive output?

Our ability to react and specifically, the passion put into their work by the whole team. Obtaining a high productive output is not difficult at all if the previous work has been appropriately done.

Why has the Sherco production been divided in two manufacturing centres?

The main reason is that each department has enough independence to make its own decisions, irrespective of other aspects other than those strictly related to motorcycle development. This specialization increases our ability to react to any eventuality.

When will we be able to see the Sherco Trials 4T?

Undoubtedly, early in 2004.

Could you reveal to us any new features?

I am sorry, but not for the moment.

What is your opinion about the future of trials with the 4T?

I don't have a very clear opinion regarding this matter, but on the other hand, this step was unavoidable if we take into account aspects such as anti-pollution regulations and the current trend favouring this type of engine.

What do you thing about the current situation of trials as a sport?

I think that, on a local scale, trials is in good health. But, on a world scale, the situation is totally opposite. Trials does not live up to the expectations of its followers. I'm thinking of withdrawing Sherco from the World Championship if the situation does not improve in a short time.

Are there going to be any changes regarding riders for next year?

We'll be having Sam Connor in England, Jarvis in the Spanish Championship, Guil in the Junior and also Joan Pons. We shouldn't forget the Sherco Academy created by Andreu Codina last year, which has become a beautiful reality this year, with 12 riders ready to compete in 2004.

Yeah Ishy, I owe you an apology in that regard. I only noticed your posting after the fact but I was suprised at what Tessier said and trials and he would be poorer should he execute his threat. I suppose I took the "Sun" approach :rolleyes: .

Should you be right Ishy (and you have been there), trials isn't the only motorcycle sport effected by the crap that the self proclaimed promotors are causing. Motocross is in deep doo-doo. In the last 12 years or so they've had 3 or 4 MAJOR changes in format and the factories are very p****d.

Bigfoot, we had a conversation regarding the promotion of the sport and on reflection you're right. I didn't disagree at the time but I have been slowly seeing the light.

Lets debate the topic and try and look at possible reasons for his statement.

Don't confuse how good the world riders are, and the big effort the companies make to put on a good show in the pits etc with how the series is actualy doing.

This topic is also on TA this morning and this is my reply to that post.

How many trials manufacturers do you see riding the Scottish? this man is a true enthusiast, and I think he only has what's best for trials at heart.

Keep in mind two new trials bikes are now on the market because of him, Scorpa and Sherco.

I can see why anyone would be disappointed with the current situation of world trials competition, with the ever lowering numbers of riders and spectators, it may be a wise move to put more effort and money into the club side of trials, they are the ones buying the bikes.

Having the top three riders in the world should mean having the top selling machine in the world???????? not the case, lots of $$$ are spent running world championship teams, this must have an effect on the cost for the guy who buys from the local dealer, I suppose the question is how that money could be best used if you feel that it isn't been well used on the world championship scene.

More than Mr. Teissier, are unhappy with the current situation, he just happened to bring it to the fore

I agree that we all owe Marc ("May I call you Marc?") a huge debt and that the upper echelons of the sport should not be isolated from us lesser mortals. But how? Fire the FIM who have for the past 20 years or so been handing championships over to the self-professed promotions experts? As mentioned in my previous post we're not the only people p****d-off with them.

On reflection the W/C counts for only some "street cred" (God I hate that expression but it's appropriate presently). The Scottish and and the Scott count for a great deal too. But I speak English. Could it be that Marc is counting on these events to promote his brand?

Possibly we'll just have to wait for Octagons contract to expire, by which time they'll probably have lost interest anyway and then get back to reality. It'll hurt the top guys but the sport will improve enormously.