Replacing Fork Seal, '95 Gg Jt25

irishjohn

I need to replace my fork seals on my  1995 Jt25.  I understand that in that year, GG used two different forks which of course require two different seals.  Is there a way to determine which size seals I need without disassembling the forks?

My concern is, GG parts are a little hard to come by in my neck of the woods.  I am reluctant to pull the seals to measure them and then discover the ones I need are not available.

I need to replace my fork seals on my  1995 Jt25.  I understand that in that year, GG used two different forks which of course require two different seals.  Is there a way to determine which size seals I need without disassembling the forks?

My concern is, GG parts are a little hard to come by in my neck of the woods.  I am reluctant to pull the seals to measure them and then discover the ones I need are not available.

Call Mike at the Tryals Shop he can and will help you out.

http://www.tryalsshop.com/index.html

I believe you need to take them apart. They come apart very easily if I`m thinking of the right bike. The whole fork seal cup comes apart.(It just unscrews by hand) The problem is the first batch of bikes (I`m guessing here) took 38X48 seals. And then they came out with 38 X 50 seals and the whole cup was changed. Some bikes got the new parts warranted and some did not. I think the original was red wipers and the new one`s were green. I`m sure it was the `95`s as I remember at the first national it was quite entertaining. GasGas had a line of bikes replacing the fork seal cups, and the Fantic Importer had a line of bikes replacing the intake manifolds on the early Sections!

The early 95 250`s were quite a problem, now that I think about them. That was the year Gas Gas tried to water cool the center cases! All kinds of corrosion and expense!

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

Lineaway,

I was afraid of that... Mine has the red wipers.  I just didn't want to pull them apart then find the seals were not available.  I guess after Sunday's meet, I'll tear them down.

Not heard about the water cooled cases.  Was that a feature on the '95 250's?

Yes, the `95 started with water cooled cases and then Gas Gas came out with a Base Gasket Kit to block the water to the cases. Trouble is communication was not very good back then (Is it now?) and not all owners got the parts necessary to fix the corrosion issue. Telling someone their new bike was going to rot away quickly probably was not a priority.