Flywheel Weight To Use Or Not To Use? Newbie Help Please

akracing

If i was you id try it again with it off and with a bit more experience you may find it better? Turn tickover up (or as you advised use the clutch!) to avoid stalling?

As I sort of said in my answer previously you end up riding the bike rather than the section, clutch and brake to slow down because of the weight?

I've got to admit I never took the weight off my Fantic, but you make a compelling case Nigel, I will be giving it a try.

I do think with these things that people try to get an easy fix, there is sometimes no quick answer, but that said one thing can suit some people but not the majority. Its very easy to do one thing and then stick with it, rather than spend time in the workshop to prove it one way or another.

Please try it.

Fantics? work of the devil.

It’s not so much an easy fix more it was quite a new thing when I was last riding regularly. Only Fantic (who I think were the first) and Beta had the option of changing flywheel weights so it was something most people didn’t have a view on. Having come from a TY250 mono the Fantic felt like the engine flew. Since the Fantic manual recommended using the weights for muddy conditions and a lot of the events I did back then were real mud plugging efforts I just left it as it was. I’m happy to take the advice of people who have tried it since I was last riding regularly.

That was over 20 years ago, having spent that time racing GP bikes where you have more things to adjust and play with than you can keep track off or developing our own bikes I have learnt how important getting things right can be.

I’m coming back to trials for “fun” and something to do since I can’t afford to race at the moment but I will be bringing all that racing/setup experience with me so I will definitely spend more time than I did getting the bike setup right for me and perhaps getting me better in the process!

Fantic’s aren’t the work of the devil (well not until they ruined them with the K-Roo), I really enjoy riding it.  Not the best bike out there but I’m not the best rider either! 

Why not try a turned down weight ie 1/4 off , or a1/3 off , just weigh beforehand . I have experimented with this for years on Gas Gas & Betas , ended up turning a1/3 off.

This in my opinion gives best of both worlds , even my Son who rides Expert now rides with one , he was a bugger for stalling when moving the bike around , but didn't

like the feel of a full weight .

• Like 1

Hi Thanks or all the replies it has very interesting reading them all

i only had one weight with the bike and refitted it and on my first outing did not have any real problems but as a complete novice at the moment i am still learning. I will though once i have had a bit more experience and try reducing the weight and also riding without it to find what i prefer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a beta Rev 3,

It's a bit gutless with the weight on but does help a hell of a lot with traction in the mud.

The only place I think it would hinder my skill is on the dry rocky stuff, I've looked for quick throttle response to do a drop-off and it wimped over the edge into a nose dive unless I pop the clutch!

I'm going to remove it for dry conditions or rock quarry's