20Mm Amal Carb.

alta

Has anyone used the new 20mm Amal on a standard capacity Tiger Cub motor? How does it perform, particularly on a "snap" throttle opening off low revs? Is it as good as the cheap "pit bike" Mikuni type carbs? Comments appreciated.

Cheers.

I think the whole point of the exercise is to bring in to line the use of 'British style' carbs on the pre 65 bikes even though the concentric carb was not available pre 65 !

This is possible now that a 20mm version is available, I don't think the Spanish made a 4 stroke version of a 20mm carb or even a 20mm one at all.

• Like 1

It's not currently listed in their carburetter settings and spare parts booklet but is apparently supplied with a number 3 slide, 100 main, 106 needle and premier pilot jets and is not mentioned as being specific to a Cub.

Hi,

The prime jetting and slide details are usually specific to a choke size, to give the correct basic volumetric mixture to create a reasonably combustible mixture, the choke size is therefore set by the engine manufacturer and the assumption made that any basic carburettor of the correct choke size can be fine tuned by adjustment of pilot jet and needle jet.

Hi Guy's,

Hi Deryk,

Been doing homework all-day on the concentric carb and its problems.

And the more I delve the more I find that this carburettor is not as simple as it seems.

It has a lot more problems than you would think.

And I can now see why they have started to manufacture it in aluminium,

So if you are thinking of buying one of these carburettors, buy the aluminium version even if it is more expensive.

The pilot jet with todays fuels is the main problem, but I think Burlen have now sorted  this with a new system, or at least revised.

Regards Charlie.

Interesting reading. With reference to Charlie's post, hopefully Burlen have sorted any issues, however until an independent body confirms that they have, I'm lacking the confidence to buy one. Maybe it's a bit too soon for any feedback.