Amal Throttle Springs

hencam

Many of you may already know this and if so apologies for stating the obvious.

having recently purchased 2 Amal Mk1 carbs, the premier type, i was dismayed by the strength of the slide spring, I am no weakling but you needed two hands to open the the throttle, lso when it snapped back it sounded like the throttle stop screw was going to bust off.

living quite close to the AMAL people in Salisbury, i dropped in to have a moan and ask if they had any suggestions.  They were very helpful and merely said. oh yeah loads of people complain, you are not alone, we fit the throttle slide spring out of the carbs that go on the triples, alot of trials and motocross boys do it.  so I bought 4 springs (2 for spares) at a grand cost of £1.75 ea,  once back home I fitted them. 

result, a silky smooth throttle that snaps shut nicely with out fear of busting of the screw an is much easier to ride with.

hope this may help somebody.

HAPPY NEW YEAR :D  :D

• Like 1

HI Guy's,

So why are Burlen "not" fitting these springs in the first place?

This industry of ours just continues to amaze me.

Seems to me No one is the slightest bit dedicated to the sport any more and all the want to do is here the tills ring.

Amazing.

I hope it will be a Happy New year?

Charlie.

HI Guy's,

So why are Burlen "not" fitting these springs in the first place?

This industry of ours just continues to amaze me.

Seems to me No one is the slightest bit dedicated to the sport any more and all the want to do is here the tills ring.

Amazing.

I hope it will be a Happy New year?

Charlie.

Hi Charlie, All trials people, Happy new year!

In fairness the carbs were not bought from Burlen in the first instance, they were from another well known source of these carbs.   I'll be honest in my view and may be it is just me but perhaps not everyone would like a soft spring but they could at least offer it as an option.  I noticed in the book on the counter that the chaps used the part number for the soft spring was written in Biro next to the standard spring p.no.  Alternatively offer the standard type as a training aid for strengthening ones grip.  I did also wonder if the dreaded H&S police or legislation were involved and it was a requirement to make sure your throttle closed but then Mikuni and Keihen don't have a rear shocker spring as a slide spring do they.  

I will find the part.no. and post it on here.

as you say all the best for a happy new year!!    

• Like 3

Hi Guy's.

HC, You could be right about the H&S issue.

I have spent a Merry two days investigating the Concentric carburettor. for a page on my web site.( Now On).

The more I delve the more problems I find with the ones made of Cheese, (Zinc Based).

I don't know if the new ones made of alloy are better but they should be. Mikuni and Keihen don't use cheese for the body of there carbs do they.

Or the same material for the slide ,very bad practice.

Regards Charlie. PS Pass the cheese board please.

• Like 2

Hi Guy's.

HC, You could be right about the H&S issue.

I have spent a Merry two days investigating the Concentric carburettor. for a page on my web site.( Now On).

The more I delve the more problems I find with the ones made of Cheese, (Zinc Based).

I don't know if the new ones made of alloy are better but they should be. Mikuni and Keihen don't use cheese for the body of there carbs do they.

Or the same material for the slide ,very bad practice.

Regards Charlie. PS Pss the cheese board please.

Charlie are you referring to the mk1 rebuild page on bsaotter or is there another article that I have not found, thank you. Edited by trialsrfun