M190 Seized Clutch Rod

fmc

Hi Troops,

After much head scratching wondering why my clutch wasnt adjusting at all, it turns out the clutch rod was seized. :(

Have managed to pull it out,obviously going to need a new one, i'll do the mushroom and ball bearing at the same time.

Do the cranckcases close to leave a channel for the rod,so to be able to give a squirt of something to clean it out??

Anything else to go with?overlooked??

Ta in advance.

F

Was there still a small ball between the push rod and the mushroom bearing?

Just to verify as normally the ball sticks inside as a bearing between the pushrod and the mushroom bearing but it can fall out and rolling away.

How does the inserted ball in the shaft of the clutch lever look like? Should too be round not grinded away.

Another thing to think about, normally there is a spring at the clutch lever which holds the lever and the clutch at "base" position so the gap of a few mm is always provides. With the time this spring gets lost too because some people think clutch action is heavier because you have to pull not only again the springs inside the clutch but too the spring that holds the lever and shaft in its resting position.

Without the spring and may be a little bit tight cable play the rod will all the time have pressure and thus be grinded away.

In my personal experience the additional spring attached to the lever doesn't make clutch action so mich more heavier but provides that there is enough space so the pushrod and the mushroom bearing can spinn free when not in use.

• Like 1

Hi pschrauber, ball bearing was still in the middle of the rod and mushroom, just really mucky looking, hardened dirt on it,

Didn't realise there is a ball bearing at the bottom of the actuating lever, thought it was just a flat ground on the shaft!! Will need to look closer at the exploded drawings!!

Return Spring is in place, understand your comments regarding it rubbing away if the spring doesn't keep the pressure off of it.

IBhbul,

Once again I haven't looked close enough at the exploded drawings!!

Looks as tho it's grease just gunked up over the years and finally stopped the shaft from moving freely.

Cheers the noo, people.

Yes, it happens, dirt and gunk can get down the pushrod tube and can cause it to stick. I've had it happen, not enough to stop the clutch being disengaged but enough to overcome the springs and prevent the clutch from re-engaging when the lever is let out.

If you cant adjust the clutch, it may well be the ball in the clutch actuator, if so you can try to get it out and

replace it, however it is pretty easy to source a replacement.

This one has a flat ball!

Have you been able to get the pushrod out?

Larry

post-14329-0-15166400-1451576819_thumb.jpg

Hi Larry, did manage to get the pushrods out, it was stuck with solidified grease I think, giving it a tap with a mallet it just wouldn't move it felt and sounded as tho it was hitting something(not realising it was inside the output shaft) but managed to start twisting it with a pair of mole grips at the chain sprocket side. The last time I was out on it the clutch was dragging a wee bit, so probably by the time I left it( can't remember how long) to try and adjust it, the rod has gone and seized.

I,ll check out the lever shaft ball before ordering other bits

Thanks for all the input guys.

Fred

• Like 1