Newbie With Mx Background

carlh

Hi, I've been thinking about getting into trials for the last few months now. I currently ride a CR250 in MX which I love. Not been into it long and am still pretty slow lol but I really enjoy it. I've rode bikes on the road for the last 8 years although I'm selling my ZX7R at the minute hopefully to replace it with a trials bike.

I'm only looking to spend around £1500 max tbh. My main hobby is MX but I'm I terested in trials so I can get more bike time for less money. All the MX tracks are shut with the rain we've been having and I'm getting fed up. Also I could practice at home or some land at work without it costing anything.

I'm in the west midlands Wolverhampton to be specific. Am I able to spectate at a practice day or will I not see much? I have shatterford close by and Wolverley I think it was. Is it worth turning up to a practice day to just have a look round?

I've included a photo of my CR as I've just got it looking like this this week and I love it haha! By the way, it's 13 years old now.

post-22099-0-26780700-1451664683_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Riding trials teaches throttle control and good throttle control will enable you to race faster. In addition many top racers from all disciplines ride trials in the winter to stay bike fit. Ian Hutchinson, 11 times a TT winner and the only man ever to win five TT races in a week was out at the Yeadon Guiseley trial on the Monday after Christmas. Learn from the best.

Yeah that's it you've got to have really good clutch atlnd throttle control for trials and I need good clutch especially on a 2 stroke.

I was going to ask about bikes but I think I've done enough research and should just buy the best nick 250 I can find?

Is it worth me getting a road registered bike? I have a full licence and was wondering if I'd be able to ride to a quiet carpark near me to practice balance and stuff?

I have a trailer and stuff so would be using that for any proper practice.

You're right,get the best 250 you can find.Practising in a car park would help with the basics,but it feels rather different off road when it's slippery and rougher.Join a local club and have a go,but don't expect too much too soon,it's a lot harder than it looks.It will improve your MX riding as a bonus too.Dont use your MX boots,buy some trials ones and a trials helmet,your MX riding kit will be fine.

Ah makes sense with the difference with a car park not being Like being off road. I may as well do it on the drive then just for balance and tight turns and not make finding a road legal one a priority.

I had a cycle trials bike a few years back a little onza blade. Never got that good at it but could hop around on the back wheel for a bit. Will still be a huge learning curve but I can't wait.

I was wondering about boots. I know I'll need an open face helmet which should be okay. My boots are sidi crossfire 2 srs which have changeable soles. Would I get away with fitting an enduro sole to them or will they still be no good do you think?

Ah makes sense with the difference with a car park not being Like being off road. I may as well do it on the drive then just for balance and tight turns and not make finding a road legal one a priority.

I had a cycle trials bike a few years back a little onza blade. Never got that good at it but could hop around on the back wheel for a bit. Will still be a huge learning curve but I can't wait.

I was wondering about boots. I know I'll need an open face helmet which should be okay. My boots are sidi crossfire 2 srs which have changeable soles. Would I get away with fitting an enduro sole to them or will they still be no good do you think?

You will be fine with your current boots, I use Alpinestars Tech 6s on my trials bike for the added armour since I do alot of singletrack and really cant afford to get anything new/a second pair. You would be better off with proper trials boots, but I dont find im slipping off the pegs etc at trials and can compete fine (beginner)

Well I got me a bike. A nice scorpa 250. I'd read how beginner friendly they were and did a bit of research on parts availability a week or so back. Then while I was down south dropping my road bike off at its new owners I stopped at my brothers house. Found this for sale just an hour away so went and had a look this morning. Really happy with it tbh it doesn't seem to look like it's done much and runs great. These engines will tick over at nothing won't they? I keep thinking it's gonna cut out but it'll chug along on tick over all day. I also managed to get a brand new Hebo helmet thrown in too. Never been worn and fits me a treat so saves me going out looking for a lid.

post-22099-0-20377900-1452467107_thumb.jpg

• Like 2