4 Speed In The P65

trialsrfun

Interesting, very interesting... Are greeves with banana forks not pre 65 then, I only ask as this side of the channel there are some slightly hostile comments on why Charles Coutard didn t get a ride, certainly as he had entered by all accounts on one of the less fiddle, trick more original bikes of that era.. and the reason touted is that his bike was unacceptable.

Interesting, very interesting... Are greeves with banana forks not pre 65 then, I only ask as this side of the channel there are some slightly hostile comments on why Charles Coutard didn t get a ride, certainly as he had entered by all accounts on one of the less fiddle, trick more original bikes of that era.. and the reason touted is that his bike was unacceptable.

Hi,

I doubt whether it was anything to do with the bike that Charles entered - much more likely the ballot beat him - and possibly the fact that the 'organisers' failed to 'nudge' the ballot by not recognising the historic name............

Hi,

I doubt whether it was anything to do with the bike that Charles entered - much more likely the ballot beat him - and possibly the fact that the 'organisers' failed to 'nudge' the ballot by not recognising the historic name............

The entry list has been published, who would you "nudge" out, to "nudge" Charles in ?

The first Greeves bikes had rubber in torsion suspension at both front & rear, later models switched to conventional Girling units at the rear with rubber in torsion for the suspension on the front forks with Girling damper units without a spring to damp the fork action.

The banana forks had no rubber suspension as both springing & damping was handled by a pair of conventional shocks.

I think these may have been introduced in 64 or 65 but before my time in trials so canot be certain.

What bike does Charles Coutard ride.

The entry list has been published, who would you "nudge" out, to "nudge" Charles in ?

Ross,

It has always seemed that the ballot favours certain riders every year..........no doubt nudged at the time of the ballot - I agree, never afterwards.

Maybe it would be an opportune time to offer an inclusion should anyone not be able to make it...........

The Pre65 Scottish trial came about originally to occupy the spectators who went to watch the six days trials.Now this trial as its own recognision as its popularity as grown over its 30 years of running.The concept of the event was for britsh bikes to be used for a trip down memory lane.So the cut off point was 1965 which as we all know was when Sammy Miller won the event on a Bultaco and changed the history of trials as we know it.So why are the commitee of the pre 65 scottish allowing the bike which was the reason for creating the trial and the rules in the first place .? :wall:

Not really my bag however pre 65 means to me pre Sammy Miller going to Bultaco.

No doubt some experts will know of Bultaco trials bikes built prior to him going? 

Haven't looked at the entry list but I bet there;s a few wouldn't know a pre 65 if they were run over by Sammy on GOV 132 on the Mamore road.

• Like 2

Big bikes seem to do most of the P65 winning though, it is yonks since Wrighty won with his BSA Bantam and a while since a Villiers engined bike took the win.

David Coughlan is a real enthusiast and a great rider to watch on Pipeline usuallly on his Ariel.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 2

I have been watching this topic with interest as a M10 owner. I must admit I did not at first read of the eligibility rule document think the Model 10 was eligible, just a clarification that a Bultaco must be 4 speed. I am aware riders have tried to enter on early bikes re-engined with a 5 speed engine  in the past. In my opinion not a lot different to entering a 175 4 speed Bantam but what do I know. I took the document to just cover the pre model 10 bikes fitted with original engines. But it appears from this thread that a M10 is entered so again what do I know. Lets be clear on this a Model 10 is not pre 65.

All I need to do now is convince the so called Eastern Center ACU board that the Pre 70 championship should be opened up to non British bikes. After all a M10 would be more period than the tricked Bantams and Cubs that fill up most of the entry. And I am sure a lot of people would like the opportunity to see one of these bikes being ridden.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock
  • Like 1