Which Twinshock

sherco78

Probably been asked loads of times but...

Got the trials bug again after a long absence, have a 5 year old beta evo I've just started riding again but the twinshock scene is pretty decent where I live so want to get a competitive twin shock, got a budget of £2k but looks like the bikes I'm after won't come in at that budget! Was after a fantic or ty175 but both look over my budget, have seen a few ty250 for around £1500, which are about a grand cheeper than the fantics or ty175's, are the 250's that much worse?! Or shud I just stump up the extra grand? Or are there any other alternatives out there for a competetive twinshock?

Fantic 200 or 240 were the best twin shocks and the end of the era.I borrowed a ty250 when my 240 was out of action and it was awful in comparison but had better brakes and was better made.Spend the extra cash

Tlr's are off the scale on price, and don't really justify it. A 200 rear kick Fantic is always a good bet, or maybe a sound 240. Parts are always available for fantic's too, which is always a consideration.

Ty 175's are great little bikes, but to make them ride well they need a fair bit of work which usually means dollars! Choice is yours! You won't go far wrong with a tidy Fantic

Fantic 200's handle and ride spot on without needing much work.

The Montesa 200 isn't far behind though and if a decent one pops up at the right price, it's worth considering.

After throwing a considerable amount of time and money at a TY175, I'd say it's as good as anything on a dry day, but they don't like to grip in anything wet.

They also need a bit of work on the handbar/top yoke and foot rests to get a balanced riding position.

The early TY250, the "A" model rides totally different to the later ones, which tend to be a bit flat.

Though for a cheap 250, an Ossa Mar ain't a bad choice as they get over looked a bit, they do ride nice and plush and are fairly bomb proof, as a bonus most had electronic ignition from the factory.

Edited by goudrons
  • Like 3

Another vote for the Fantic 200. Don't be put off by the 156cc engine they produce more power than a 200 TLR and will pull a lard ar$e like me through sections with no problem whatsoever.

You should be looking at around £1750 to £2000 for a decent one and three hundred or so more for a minter.

No need to change anything although I've lowered and moved back the pegs (1 inch down and 1 inch back) on both mine for personal preference.