4Rt Fork Seals

woody

A couple of local lads bought a new 4RT each a few months back and are having issues with the fork seals. One bike sprung a leak on one leg and it was replaced under warranty. It has now blown the other seal and the other bike has also now got a leak from one seal

Neither bike has had hard use as they are both novice standard and just go out and play on them, not ride trials. They've only been used half a dozen times. Another rider who had a new 4RT has said it's an issue and replacing the seals with new standard Montesa  /  Honda seals won't cure the problem, you have to use green seals.

The dealer is miles away but will only provide standard replacements under warranty, if they want the green seals they have to pay for them and the price that they've been given (not by the dealer) is something like £60 a pair...

Has anyone come across this problem with the latest 4RT and if so how was it fixed?  Seems strange to me that Honda should have a problem with fork seals, but both bikes have suffered the same issue and it also happened to the bike belonging to the rider who mentioned the green seals as a fix. Anyone know what the green seals are, or any reliable replacements other than the standard seals if they are in fact giving problems?

I think they mean the green SKF fork seals, should be very good quality with low friction.

The seals below are for the the Showa forks:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/skf-fork-oil-dust-seal-kit-showa-39mm.html

These are forthe Tech forks:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/skf-fork-oil-dust-seal-kit-tech-39mm-forks.html

Edited by guys

Hi Woody = are they std Monts or the repsol. (tech and showa forks) 

I fancy I had some seepage on my std 15 initially but seem ok now.

Good question  -  I don't know...  Well out of touch with modern bikes and forgot there were differences in the suspension, I'll have to find out

I think they mean the green SKF fork seals, should be very good quality with low friction.

The seals below are for the the Showa forks:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/skf-fork-oil-dust-seal-kit-showa-39mm.html

These are forthe Tech forks:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/skf-fork-oil-dust-seal-kit-tech-39mm-forks.html

Thanks Guys

• Like 1

I had one fork seal start leaking quite early on (this is Repsol with Showa forks).  I too was surprised that this would happen.

Upon dismantling the fork, I discovered that the top bushing was faulty.  The grey teflon coating was flaking off and bits of it getting into the seal area.  I replaced the bush and the seal with genuine parts (both low priced).  I like the genuine seal as it is a full double lip (two garter springs) seal.  Those green SKF seals look good but are too expensive (at least 4 times the price of a genuine seal).  You can get the genuine one from any Honda shop because it fits one of the old XR models.  Just quote the part number 51425-NN3-821.  It was about AUD$17 from either Honda or the Montesa dealer.  The bush was about AUD$12 from the Montesa dealer.

Again, this refers to the 39mm Showa forks only.

• Like 2

A couple of local lads bought a new 4RT each a few months back and are having issues with the fork seals. One bike sprung a leak on one leg and it was replaced under warranty. It has now blown the other seal and the other bike has also now got a leak from one seal

Neither bike has had hard use as they are both novice standard and just go out and play on them, not ride trials. They've only been used half a dozen times. Another rider who had a new 4RT has said it's an issue and replacing the seals with new standard Montesa / Honda seals won't cure the problem, you have to use green seals.

The dealer is miles away but will only provide standard replacements under warranty, if they want the green seals they have to pay for them and the price that they've been given (not by the dealer) is something like £60 a pair...

Has anyone come across this problem with the latest 4RT and if so how was it fixed? Seems strange to me that Honda should have a problem with fork seals, but both bikes have suffered the same issue and it also happened to the bike belonging to the rider who mentioned the green seals as a fix. Anyone know what the green seals are, or any reliable replacements other than the standard seals if they are in fact giving problems?

I heard the first 2014 260 plain 4RT's had issues with fork seals after only a few hours use

Not heard much lately

• 3 weeks later...

Neither bike has had hard use as they are both novice standard and just go out and play on them, not ride trials. They've only been used half a dozen times. Another rider who had a new 4RT has said it's an issue and replacing the seals with new standard Montesa  /  Honda seals won't cure the problem, you have to use green seals.

Has anyone come across this problem with the latest 4RT and if so how was it fixed?  Seems strange to me that Honda should have a problem with fork seals, but both bikes have suffered the same issue and it also happened to the bike belonging to the rider who mentioned the green seals as a fix. Anyone know what the green seals are, or any reliable replacements other than the standard seals if they are in fact giving problems?

I had one fork seal start leaking quite early on (this is Repsol with Showa forks).  I too was surprised that this would happen.

Upon dismantling the fork, I discovered that the top bushing was faulty.  The grey teflon coating was flaking off and bits of it getting into the seal area.  I replaced the bush and the seal with genuine parts (both low priced).  I like the genuine seal as it is a full double lip (two garter springs) seal.  Those green SKF seals look good but are too expensive (at least 4 times the price of a genuine seal).  You can get the genuine one from any Honda shop because it fits one of the old XR models.  Just quote the part number 51425-NN3-821.  It was about AUD$17 from either Honda or the Montesa dealer.  The bush was about AUD$12 from the Montesa dealer.

Again, this refers to the 39mm Showa forks only.

Hi Woody and Chrisa,

I have a 2014 Repsol (arrived here at end of year) and have had same experience of seal leak and when stripped issue was Teflon coating pealing off the top bushes, which can get under seal lip as well as in valving. No defects on the surface of the staunchions, and bottom bushes and coating were perfect, so appears to be an issue with the coating adhesion being defective. However point is, after dismantling the forks and meticulous cleaning of all components and replacement of all seals and bushes, after two practice sessions leaking from right fork leg seal. When leg stripped have found the same issue with the new top bushes.

The problem does not seem to be seals, (as Chrisa mentions) but the coating on the bushes.

My issue is whether or not this is recognised as a problem and where to get satisfactory bushes from? My 2006 Repsol forks have only been rebuilt once and the bushes only showed normal wear not bubbling and stripping of the coating.

Anybody have further info?

Edited by oz thumper

I have both forks leak almost at the same time after 4 hours use. Blazeys were superb and replaced the fork sliders (black bit) and seals and all was good again. they said there was a few issues on the tech forks.. Now have a 16 bike so lets see what happens. done 10 hours and all good so far!

Edited by helicoptermanr22

• 1 month later...

Just putting SKF seals in tonight and noticed the Teflon coating on both guide bushes is peeling off. Must be a fault on the 2015 model?

Andat are these Showa forks? I am still having problems with Teflon stripping off the upper fork guide bushes. Factory say there is no problem with Showa forks

One of My 2015 standard 4RT legs leaked copiously a few hours in. My dealer was golden, he had both legs back and they were repaired under a factory warranty.

A known issue with some legs apparently.

They have since taken some abuse with no issues at all.

I'd approach your dealer.

Unfortunately, the dealer(s) here in Australia claim not to have heard of any problem.  They've obviously not heard of the internet either.

To each individual they will tell you that you are the only one to have had this problem (implying that it is your fault somehow).  Clearly, there is a real problem with the Showa fork bushes from 2015 onwards.  I say onwards because, as Oz Thumper says, the replacement bushes are failing as well.

Very disappointing.