Yes Or No ?

craigrushton

Hi All,

I've always liked how the ossa TR280 rides after a brief ride on one last year , and have had my eye out for a good second hand one to purchase.

But after whats happened and reading the posts on "Kokusan Denki No More" 

What are peoples genuine opinions on taking the plunge and buying one ?

ie. For's.....You could probably get a good one now for reasonable money ?

Against.....Getting it repaired (spares) problems ?

Thanks For your opinions.......Craig.  :rolleyes:

I very recently bought mine, also s/h so I'm maybe good one to answer. I was aware of the detoriorating OSSA brand health before buying, but still opted to buy one after doing considerable amount of homework reading many reviews on different trails bikes in 250-300cc class. No bike is perfect and TR280 isn't perfect either, but it was the best to tick most of my boxes.

About spares etc: I don't consider this a problem. I own an older BMW that's supposedly hard to find parts since it's out of production for over nearly 2 decades, but never had an issues, also own a vintage and a very rare R2R tape deck and still manage to run and maintain with fresh parts no problem while everybody said it's impossible to run today. Plus I have additional experience of personally knowing people who own bikes from 1920-1930s or just some hyper-rare motorcycle - I've seen first hand how they just make parts themselves (from machinist or CNC workshop), just unbelieavable stuff you though only factory can do, but they proved they can even forge a crancase when you need to and most of all: most of them at SURPRISINGLY reasonable costs that can even rival some redicolous OEM parts prices we pay (no joke)! 

So I'm not put off even if OSSA dissapears, for some 5-10 years parts will be available from old stocks, after that it's like owning another rarity or a collectible bike - you'll still manage easily.

Just me 2c.

Edited by tsiklonaut
  • Like 1

I  would wonder about whether or not certain spares are now/were ever available, let alone in ten years time.  Comparison with mass-produced motorcycles, with widely available spares in their day, from decades ago is not valid.

I've heard the same denialist story for my vintage tape deck that was produced maybe 20-30 units a year in 80s for a couple of years run only and I still run it full time in 2016 with fresh parts coming along nicely.

So I guess it's better to stop wondering or speculating if you haven't owned a particular brand and looked for speciefic parts like the real owners do.

I just two days ago asked OSSA parts stock reqest from my dealer here in Scandinavia (possibly the FARTHEST place from Spain here in Europe) - all consumables in spades, but he also has stuff like cylinder bores from A to C, pistons from A to C grade, all seals for hydraulics (upper and lower kits) in stock, even stuff like spokes, small plastic bolt kits etc. I imagine it's even better in Southern Europe where there's bigger trials market. Hence I'm confident there will be parts available for newer (I mean post-70s) OSSAs.

Edited by tsiklonaut
  • Like 1

I  would wonder about whether or not certain spares are now/were ever available, let alone in ten years time.  Comparison with mass-produced motorcycles, with widely available spares in their day, from decades ago is not valid.

I agree, considering how many TY Monos were sold in the 1980's and 90's, some bits like plastics/exhausts/kickstarts are officially dscontinued from Yamaha, so you have to scour old stock or used spares

The only thing that would concern me is the EFI parts.Most consumables are used by other brands so no problem.I would want the leads and computer program so I could interrogate the ECU if anything went wrong but I'm not sure what's out there if you needed replacement bits .Too much of a gamble in my opinion.I know Mahle have taken over Kokusan but are they going to continue with the parts Ossa used?

Edited by huski

Why take the risk? What, specifically, does an Ossa do for you that other makes, whose owners don't have to contemplate making their own parts, don't?

What seems like a reasonable purchase price now may have a different feel when you can't sell it on when you want to replace it.

• Like 2

No no no. Had one they need a lot of attention and will only get worse will age.

If you want a bike to ride most weekends and practice on in between you do not want to be waiting for spares. 

If you particularly like these type of Ossas and only want to ride it occasionally, ownership rather than riding being your hobby then spares availability is less significant.

Just get it. You know you want to. I've owned a 2012 TR 280 since new. Starts first or second kick with no battery. Issues I've had are breaking two selector shafts by hitting rocks with the selector. Since fitted a wider bash plate so no problem since. Most of the FI parts are generic and are sourced easily. Pistons/rings are no problem. Bores can be re plated. Fan is same as GG use. Wheels can be rebuilt. Suspension is generic so are brakes. I would suggest getting a spare ECU, set of leads, selector shaft and set of plastics. I could provide you with software and maps, even a wider bash plate. I would anticipate no real issues providing normal maintenance is undertaken. They really are great bikes.

Just get it. You know you want to. I've owned a 2012 TR 280 since new. Starts first or second kick with no battery. Issues I've had are breaking two selector shafts by hitting rocks with the selector. Since fitted a wider bash plate so no problem since. Most of the FI parts are generic and are sourced easily. Pistons/rings are no problem. Bores can be re plated. Fan is same as GG use. Wheels can be rebuilt. Suspension is generic so are brakes. I would suggest getting a spare ECU, set of leads, selector shaft and set of plastics. I could provide you with software and maps, even a wider bash plate. I would anticipate no real issues providing normal maintenance is undertaken. They really are great bikes.

Sums up pretty good. They're a small player with a hell lot of uncomplished potential had they continued their pursuit refining their ideas and design.

I think OSSA naturally gets a lot of hate for it's "out-of-the-box" thinking and engineering (with obvious risks and the need to fine-tune as the experience comes along) while the dominant most other makers follow the classic design (where everything is pretty much settled over the years). It very much makes OSSA a "black sheep" among trials bikes and we all know what happens to black sheep in a heard of whites. I mean just count how many people negatively comment and speculate here without even owing one plus it tends only to happen in OSSA thread in this kind of magnitude - people just check in to let their personal hate go.

offtopic: jkmr1, where did you get the wider bash plate, or you just built one yourself?

Edited by tsiklonaut
  • Like 1