Yes Or No ?

craigrushton

I'm thinking we OSSA owners clearly go overboard thinking it's some science-fiction bike, albeit it may visually look like one.

Doing some research actually most of the parts are compatible with other trials bikes (mostly GasGas). consumables, bearings, suspension, handlebar, wheels etc etc, all easily sourceable. So everything will be available as long as GasGas parts are available. 

OSSA-unique from the parts you may have have to replace once in a while are just the top end kit (minus bearings, probably also piston and conrod), gearbox (this not fully sure, some parts may be standards from elswhere if doing some research) and in case it brakes: EFI (the only part fully 100% OSSA speciefic) are only different and speciefic parts to OSSA brand. Frame and swingarm is also unique, but frame rarely brakes and if it does it's almost always repairable or fully remakable by even a very average-skilled mech shop.

IMO this leaves a very limited list of OSSA "unique" parts you need for a long run, most of the stuff you need daily is easily sourcable on-the-go and no concern.

If the EFI system is the only unique part on the bike , and it was beyond repair, would it be possible to retro fit a carb ?

{ I know this wouldn't be as good but could keep the bike in use }

a lot of modern 4 stroke bikes have EFI, even a little Honda CB125, maybe parts from one of these could be adapted.

I think it would be okay to buy an OSSA , as long as you are realistic about the spares situation ,

and if you have contact with people who can do some engineering / re-conditioning when required.

ECU wouldn't accept not having info from the EFI if you fitted a carb,tho I reckon you could get one to fit.Probably possible to re write the ECU to accept it by someone who really knows what to do,but it wouldn't be cheap and you'd have to set it up on a rolling road

Hi margus, I have had full termignoni on the white frame 300, but found it kept getting noisy and seems to need repacking very very often. Also it seems to make the bike pink a little under load. Lovely made and mega light though. Lot of bucks as well!

I find not putting the exhaust shields on the seat unit make it more accessible around rear shock area as well.

Also Xbox triple clamps give more lock.

I'm running latest wheels with black hubs on the White frame now.

Ian

Edited by imexian

Hi Canada, the 15 300 has std bars with 5mm risers, the White 300 has std bars, with 10 MM. Risers, I think ? I did try taller 6 inch jitsie bars but the bend was strange? Seem to come rearward somehow. Did not feel right. I like the std bars the best, the 13 bike has Sherco bars fitted, with 15mm riser. The very latest bike is very well built, and starts ace. Sounds and goes great as well. The white one was playing up on starting but changed aaa bsttery yesterday and all good now. The 13 has a ni mh large battery inside air box with switch on bars, fires up ecu and fuel pump with a right whirr! But then goes ok.

I guess we like these bikes......

• 4 weeks later...

The EFI system is the same as the Bombardier skidoos who can be used in very  harsh conditions like cold weather (-50° C) so its is no question about the quality  of the system. The problem with OSSA is that they did not sell the wiring and softaware to tune yourself your bike. They should have made sell it with the bike in big countries like Canada, Usa, Australia etc. where you are very far away from a dealer with knowledge or interest (not like jppowersport here in Quebec). 

Apart from the ECU I am almost sure you can find the others parts from  a Bombardier dealer.

Anyway the thinking behind this great motorcycle will not be lost. Things like the radiator protected from the mud, the high airbox who stay clean, the lightweight of  bike and impressive engine are amazing in day to day use. Maybe they are not as good as perfectly tuned bike by mechanics for the conditions of the day of the race  but I am curious to see what they could have done with it if they had a rider like Bou or Raga. A company need a lot of money to pay for that class of rider and OSSA do not have it.

It is a great bike if you can start it and I am sure it will return on the market. Of what I have read from poeple who tried the new Vertigo who have a OSSA they still prefer their OSSA.

OSSA did sell the cables ( software is free) - but it was VERY expensive!

I got the BTWICE setup for a resonable cost, it works very well.

I think OSSA should have made it an inexpensive option or standard with the bike.

But of course some people would just muck it up with the software.

Matk