Is The 4Rt Really All It's Cracked Up To Be?

scrambler

I'm thinking of getting a new Montesa. I've read on here that you can just ride them, wash them, then ride them some more and occasionally change the oil and filter.

Top build quality. Top reliability.

Then I also read on here a list of various problems.

They need guards to stop excess dirt getting in the air box.

They need a better sump guard.

Frames cracking near the foot rest hangers.

The angle sensor failing.

Problems with the cam chain tensioner.

The side stand is rubbish.

Starting issues.

So are they really built that much better than other bikes?

They need guards to stop excess dirt getting in the air box - As standard they are probably as good or better than any other bike with conventional air box under the seat - fine as standard but can be improved with a bit of mesh on mudguard or the under seat add on but those 2 mods will make it as good as anything.

They need a better sump guard -if you are on big rock or a hard or bad rider there are better sump shield than std

Frames cracking near the foot rest hangers. - very very few - probably with aftermarket hangers

The angle sensor failing. - take it off

Problems with the cam chain tensioner -?????.

The side stand is rubbish.- you can buy aftermarket if you want but I have no problem with mine. A bit of weld every 12 months is fine

Starting issues. - technique more than anything

So are they really built that much better than other bikes? - take a 5 year old Mont to bits and do the same with a beta etc and compare - no need to do it with a GASGAS as it will already be in bits.

Most Mont owners keep there bikes longer than a 2t and average age of a 4rt competing is probably older than a 2ts

• Like 2

Absolutly Not!!!!!!, Dont get me wrong they are a good bike, but they are not what Toni and Fuji ride. They have their short cummings just like every other bike. They are not a easy bike to ride for a Newbie, or eaven a novice level rider. They are heavy which makes them harder to ride, they have the worst turning radius of every bike out there, so unless you can hop or flick your immediatly at a disadvantage.They are geared to tall for tight slow riding, so straight out of the box you need to spend eaven more money to slow them down. I have owned 3 of them from 2005 to 2009 and short of color they have not changed. My buddy has a 2014 repsol and short of the bigger displacement, it feels just the same as the earlier models. My opinion for a club level rider, if you want 4 stroke go with the Beta, it is a much lighter easier bike to ride and it out turns any other bike out there!!!!!

I have not had one issue wit my 2007 4RT that wasn't me messing it up. I have done some preference changes but otherwise it's ride rinse repeat with an oil and filter change here and there. I am also a maintenance upkeep guy so yearly I do some extra to keep it 100%, like grease the bearings replace if needed etc. but I could likely do that every other year and be fine.

As for the ride, other than not liking the slower suspension so I changed oil and had it re-valved to my weight and running the tubes lower in the top clamps to improve tucking during full lock turns I really like it.

In comparison to my wife's Gas Gas, I love it! My wife likes the feel of it better in most ways and is even considering letting me get her one as well. The only two things she likes better on the Gas Gas is bing a 125 it's easier for her to start and she prefers the way the Gas Gas turns.

Edited by jonnyc21

They Were loaners from my Sponsor while I was waiting for my Beta to get to me. I think they are a fun bike no doubt, but they are kinda heavy pigs and much harder to ride than other bikes, They do not under any circstances get better traction than the other bikes and they are not a bike that responds to quick action riding

• Like 2