Is The 4Rt Really All It's Cracked Up To Be?

scrambler

They are buses but in my view they are the most fun trials bikes you could wish to own. Maintenance is simple, everything is put together really well and they run exactly the same every day of the year no matter what the temperature or atmospheric conditions are.

Edited by the addict
  • Like 3

They Were loaners from my Sponsor while I was waiting for my Beta to get to me. I think they are a fun bike no doubt, but they are kinda heavy pigs and much harder to ride than other bikes, They do not under any circstances get better traction than the other bikes and they are not a bike that responds to quick action riding

I was the only one to clean a snotty section this Sunday even with a used X liite - maybe I'm just brill

I'm old - I can only dream of quick action riding - just the old girl do her thing and she will repay you -horse for courses

• Like 3

I'm thinking of getting a new Montesa. I've read on here that you can just rclasshem, wash them, then ride them some more and occasionally change the oil and filter.

Top build quality. Top reliability.

Then I also read on here a list of various problems.

They need guards to stop excess dirt getting in the air box.

They need a better sump guard.

Frames cracking near the foot rest hangers.

The angle sensor failing.

Problems with the cam chain tensioner.

The side stand is rubbish.

Starting issues.

So are they really built that much better than other bikes?

Top biuld quality... Yes, everything fits perfectly, no struggling to get bolts in

Air filter guard.... Never used one in 11 years of 4rt ownership

Sump guard..... Fine for normal use, start taking bigger hits then upgrade

Frames cracking... Yes, but down to artermarket hangers and pegs, no give.

Bank angle sensor.... Unnecessary saftey device, easy job

Side stand... Crap, take it off, always plenty of things to lean it on

Starting issues..... Nothing unusual in 11years

Are they better built.... Think so, never had to rebuild a gearbox or change stator, only done 1 piston. Suspension and DID wheels are 1st class.

In those 11 years I've only had 3 bikes, plenty of ssdts and scotts on the same engine generally being abused. Other bikes would have expired.

• Like 9

Top biuld quality... Yes, everything fits perfectly, no struggling to get bolts in

Are they better built.... Think so, never had to rebuild a gearbox or change stator, only done 1 piston. Suspension and DID wheels are 1st class.

In those 11 years I've only had 3 bikes, plenty of ssdts and scotts on the same engine generally being abused. Other bikes would have expired.

And that your honour is the evidence for the defence, we rest our case.

• Like 5

I've got a buddy that is approaching 70yrs. old and is also one of the finest trials riders I've ever enjoyed the company of riding with ...He's had the same 4rt since we could buy one , and yes he knows a HRC engineer quite well and his bike is not quite stock ... But nonetheless IT IS a remarkable machine ! Still to this day it works like a sewing machine ...

You get what you pay for ...

I bought 2006  4RT she has a really tough life 1st thing to say about me when i ride, i ride . I can put toghther one of the ugliest cleans anyone has ever seen. I have fun riding my bike is going most likely is gonna get a scratch. My montes a has spent most of 10 years now in the outdoors not a lot of time in a shelter so its seen a lot rain snow sun dirt . The only thing i can say to buy for protection is a better skid plate or bash plate as my riding style. I think the Montesa is the least expensive bike buy.  i have put 1 spart plug, 1 set of fork seals i change the oil some time not often always putting in 100 plus octane fuel .The bikes are tough gas and go machines 

Buy 2 so someone can ride with.

Oh i finally checked my valves at year 9 didn't need ant adjusting  

Your gonna love your investment  

• Like 1

Fastest time in the 2014 Scott too, plus just missed the same in 2015 by a whisker from this man & on an older 4rt if I'm not mistaken - not a 260 version

Indeed jrsunt can fly, on his

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

This explains it all

That meme is a back handed compliment. I spoke to a 4rt owner about why he kept his bike for 7+years when he had a history of bike addiction requiring a change of steed every 12 months. I asked if the 4rt was reliable?

He said 'It's a honda generator with a efing gearbox added on' :hyper:

• Like 3