Kicking Over A Honda / Montesa 4Rt

desmo_kid

I have a 2010 Gas Gas 250, but starting her has been a problem due to a knee injury.  

First, it takes a good hard snap.  Not so much of a problem, alone, but the kick lever hits the mount of the foot peg at the end of the throw, and being short throw it is hard for me to avoid bottoming out like this as it has to be kicked fast.

So, I'm wondering about the 4RT.  Does the lever hit against anything hard like this when you push it through?  Do you have to give the lever a good hard snap?

I would buy one if I knew about this one issue.  But no dealer within hours and hours of me has one.

Excited to hear replies. 

I have a 4RT and it starts very easily, for the first start of the day 2 steady strokes of the kickstart and then 1 slightly more enthusiastic stroke rather than kick and away it goes, once started usually just one stroke of the kickstart, it does come onto the peg but as you are not using much force its not a problem

• Like 1

I have a 4RT and it starts very easily, for the first start of the day 2 steady strokes of the kickstart and then 1 slightly more enthusiastic stroke rather than kick and away it goes, once started usually just one stroke of the kickstart, it does come onto the peg but as you are not using much force its not a problem

Likewise, it's the easiest bike i have ever started and needs the merest 'push', most of the time and far less effort than my old 315R 2 stroke

• Like 1

I find some have a little trouble actually getting used to the fact that it's more of a push than a sharp kick.

For me a 1/2 to 3/4 push fallowed by a smooth full push will start mine almost every time. Never feels harsh at the end of the stroke or slamming into the peg but will stop at the end of the strok. On a really cold morning I have had to give a 2nd full kick once in awhile but not often.

• Like 1

Been on the GasGas and know what it takes to kick it over along with other 2 strokes. Went to a Beta 4 stroke and had to learn how to kick start with the push the lever method. Once you learn, it is very simple and painless to do. Rode many Montesa  4 strokes as well, same deal. Just order a new 2016 Cota.

What you need to understand is that every time you start it the first stroke of the lever primes the electrics/fuel and the second stroke starts the engine. Everything is done gently, just stroke it through.

So every time you start it you push the kicker through a stroke and then a soft press starts it? I'll try that. I've had it a year and it's a cow's udder to start when hot. First kick when cold.

On my 260Rt it starts fine in neutral. If its in gear it really struggles. Always had to give it a good kick though. I've tried slow kick. Maybe not the prime kick as above though.

Sometimes its like the ecu is confused. When its hot and switched off for 5 mins it sometimes won't start unless i hold full throttle, give it a couple of light kicks to reset it, then it starts first time! Now Im left wondering if the one or two reset kicks are actually just priming it as above.

So every time you start it you push the kicker through a stroke and then a soft press starts it? I'll try that. I've had it a year and it's a cow's udder to start when hot. First kick when cold.

On my 260Rt it starts fine in neutral. If its in gear it really struggles. Always had to give it a good kick though. I've tried slow kick. Maybe not the prime kick as above though.

Sometimes its like the ecu is confused. When its hot and switched off for 5 mins it sometimes won't start unless i hold full throttle, give it a couple of light kicks to reset it, then it starts first time! Now Im left wondering if the one or two reset kicks are actually just priming it as above.

Just checking you are stopping it with the kill button