The Last Bultaco

greeves

I'am still a bit astonished about the Sherpa's sent to Tahiti and Guatemala.

You have a lot of Spanish classic bikes in all south American´s countries. Many in use.

Here you have a Sherpa for sale in Guatemala... https://ciudaddeguatemala.olx.com.gt/moto-de-trial-clasica-bultaco-iid-779779295

But bit expensive though... 32,000 Quetzal = 3.800€

My curiosity is big about those Sudanese Bultacos. Let´s dee if I can know something more about that.

Edited by greeves
  • Like 2

Hi pschrauber, I have been serching for those Sudanese Bultacos and the only thing I have found is that in 1984 there was a number of militar Bultacos send to Sudan.

In the same file they speak about 300 military Bultacos build by CEMOTO sold to Somalia Governent in 1984. To be honest what I think is this bikes were in the Spanish Army stock and was the government selling the "old fashioned"bikes both to Somalia and Sudan Armies and not CEMOTO doing so.

What I think the bikes were Military Alpinas as the one in the pic build before 1981. In fact I drove one of those during my military service in 1983 in the Military Police 103 Squad. in Menorca Island were we had two of those bikes to patrol in a huge land the army had for a coast artillery battery in La Mola and were sometimes there were poachers shooting quails, partridges and rabbits!!!!

If you are curious to check the file, they speak about the Bultacos in pages 280 and 283: http://www.fbofill.cat/sites/default/files/Dos_05.pdf

post-2577-0-41215300-1454528618_thumb.jpg

Edited by greeves
  • Like 4

Yes that makes sense. The numbers are equal and Somalia and Sudan, ... well there might be some translation issues too the communication wasn' t as good then. It can be that the used military bikes which had seen service for at least four years got an "refurbish" before they were sent abroad.

This procedure is at least very common in Germany when used military stuff from the Bundeswehr is sold to foreign country's by the government it get overhauled by the factory were they were build. As CEMOTO was already paid through the government why shouldn't they hit two birds with one stone and let them overhaul the bikes from them before they were sent to Somalia.

That's quite a huge study project thesis!

OFF TOPIC MODE ON

Anyway cool incident I was too at the Military Police (Feldjäger) in the Army during my service time and had too ridden bikes sometimes in my army service time, mostly we used cars. We had Hercules offroad bikes and BMW street bikes. The Hercules was a little bit to much underpowered and I managed to break the frame off one when riding in the woods. My service stations were spread over Germany Celle 3 month, Sonthofen (Alpes) 6 month then Bremen, in between Wilhelmshaven and Bremerhaven (in service for the US Navy).

OFF TOPIC MODE OFF

• Like 4

What I think the bikes were Military Alpinas as the one in the pic build before 1981. In fact I drove one of those during my military service in 1983 in the Military Police 103 Squad. in Menorca Island were we had two of those bikes to patrol in a huge land the army had for a coast artillery battery in La Mola and were sometimes there were poachers shooting quails, partridges and rabbits!!!!

Riding bikes in menorca and getting paid? Where do i apply to join this army?

• Like 3

Most have probably read this but it's a good read like the rest of the site.

http://www.retrotrials.com/exclusive-ignacio-bulto-interview-20122.html

In my opinion the last true Bultaco would be when Paco still had control of the company

Dont agree. The last one is the last one whoever made it, thought of concept, put it together or bought it. If Paco lost control in 79 then are you saying none of the bultaco 340's were "genuine"?

Edited by nigel dabster

I suppose you could say that

Paco is Bultaco

Nothing really special happened after the Soler Sherpas in my opinion

Maybe you call "Soler Sherpas" to a different model? because here in Spain we call Soler Sherpas to models 158, 159 (238 in France), 182 183, 190 and 191...  

So for us after the Soler Sherpas came the 199 and 199A models with Vesterinen Word Champion in 77 & 78; Schreiber World Champion 79 and Lampkin SSDT Champion 77 & 78 with this bikes.

I agree Bultaco soul was all about the enthusiasm and love for bikes and competition of D. Paco Bultó.

• Like 5

Maybe you call "Soler Sherpas" to a different model? because here in Spain we call Soler Sherpas to models 158, 159 (238 in France), 182 183, 190 and 191...

So for us after the Soler Sherpas came the 199 and 199A models with Vesterinen Word Champion in 77 and 78; Schreiber World Champion 79 and Lampkin SSDT Champion 77 and 78 with this bikes.

I agree Bultaco soul was all about the enthusiasm and love for bikes and competition of D. Paco Bultó.

Yes they are the models I call Soler as well

The later models are nice bikes but the earlier models up to and including the Soler models were a piece of art in my opinion

• Like 3

Yes they are the models I call Soler as well

The later models are nice bikes but the earlier models up to and including the Soler models were a piece of art in my opinion

In the times of the Soler models I was riding Montesas...

I was given a 198 in 1977 and a 199A two years later, so for me those are the most exciting Bultacos ever.

Although the nicest peace of art inside trials bikes ever for me is... this petrol tank!

post-2577-0-85113100-1454667711_thumb.jpg

Edited by greeves
  • Like 7

• 6 years later...

• 3 months later...