Keeping A Bike In A Shed

monty_jon

Insulation is good Celotex or Kingspan boards (Polyisocyanurate).

They are rigid boards in different thicknesses. You can fix them under a Ply or Osb (oriented strand) board covering, floor, walls or ceiling using drywall screws.

Then use a small tubular greenhouse heater on a time switch.

Re cycle old plastic double glazed windows for light.

If the building is timber keep it off the ground.

Make sure the door/s etc shut tightly.

Dehumidifier is best. they need a bit of heat in the air to work properly though so a small heater to raise the dewpoint temperature helps. Great for drying a bike completely after a post trial wash.

Yep

I have been using one for 20 years

In winter I remove 5 gallon a week of water from my double garage

All my bikes & garage are perfect

When it is really frosty I turn it off for a few days as you need temps above freezing for them to work properly

This year has been fine as we haven't had much colder weather

Insulation, walls and roof and keeping the worst of the bad weather out, brush/draught excluder strip on doors and windows can all help keep the worst of the damp out. No need to go too mad, no ventilation could cause it the sweat which is just as bad.

With the best will in the world your bike will have a certain amount of moisture on it after its cleaned which will end up in the atmosphere in the shed.

A dehumidifer is the only way to get the moisture out of the atmosphere in a shed or garage. 

As a bonus the water you get out of a dehumidifer is perfect for the cooling system on your bike and the iron! 

Edited by smokey125

If you use a dehumidifier the use of a heater is essential to keep the air temp and bike temp up, the dehumidifier will not remove very much water when the air temp is low due to a very low dew point.

The worst time for condensation is when the air temp in the shed rises (in the morning) the air temp will rise more quickly than the mass of the bike.

At this point relative humidity (moisture) in the air increases and is easily turned to condensation on any cold surface (your bike).

By keeping the air temp up and constant will maintain the bike temperature relative to the air temp and reduse the ability of the moisture to condensate on your bikes internal and external surfaces.

If you then add a dehumidifier and keep the RH below 50%RH (lower the better but may be costly in electricity) and your air temp above 12degC your bike will not suffer from condensation.

Ensue your bike is warmer than the the shed before you put it away after a wash.

post-6583-0-30822500-1454144104_thumb.png

Edited by jfc

There is heavy damp in the air and it gets everywhere . Cavity brick garages with dpc's are just as bad. I need to introduce heat or a dehumidifier.

Both in an ideal world but constant temperature is a very good start.

(So that bike and shed air temps stay the same)

Edited by jfc
  • Like 1

A lot of domestic dehumidifiers have heaters as well. Although how well these work in a shed or garage compared to an oil filled radiator or storage heater I don't know. 

DPC will only help with rising damp, it wont do anything with humidity. A cavity brick garage is a lot better than some of the other options, but when you compare it to your house it requires insulation and heating to get anywhere near the same internal temperature. If you've got a plain metal garage door this will be a major source of lost heat. They can be insulated with Kingspan, expanded polystyrene or similar sheet type insulation with lightweight sheet (plastic) over the top to protect it but you will needs to change the spring to help balance the extra weight. 

• Like 1