Exhaust Bung Issue?

stpauls

I have just replaced the clutch side crank shaft seal on a Sherco 2T.  I have always used an exhaust bung when I wash my bike.  I was wondering if running the engine with an exhaust bung still inserted into the end of the tail pipe would explain the damaged crank shaft seal?

s-l225.jpg

Exhaust bung

Edited by stpauls

Done it myself a couple of timed by accident. I now use the champagne cork from my previous weekend victory celebrations, this acts as a pressure relief valve, when the exhaust pressure builds the cork pops across the garage forecourt. Apart from a few strangers with a black eyes, no harm done.

• Like 1

It certainly won't help, the pressure has to escape somewhere. Why would you do that ?

I always warm the engine up after washing the mud off.  I have close neighbours and the bung reduces the volume a lot.  I bet this is what caused the crank shaft seal to fail.

Given the pressures the crank seals are designed to hold at full chat I would expect the bung to be forced out before the seals would fail.

Just hold a bit rag lightly over the exhaust if you want to quieten it for the neighbours while running for a short period.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke