First Trial Coming Up

strugglinon

Well, I've got a bike, a lid, boots and transport.

My first ever trial is 3 weeks away close to home at Aughertree (Uldale).

Apart from not forgetting the above items and fuel, are there any essentials/ tips that the good people of trials central can offer/ take the p*** as appropriate?

Interesting point about the detonation. In my two strokes I use 75% Superunleaded and 25% Avgas. Bit of extra protection with the lead content.

I 'borrow' the plastic gloves from fuel stations and carry some of these with me. A Camelbak is handy too.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'd not considered using super unleaded petrol. Do most riders use it? I'm on an '02 Sherco 290 if it makes any difference.

The slightly loose lever clamp is a good shout, I do that on my mountain bikes too, saved more than a few levers in the past.

Don't be scared to ask for a five if you don't fancy having a go at a section.

Pay close attention to the line you need to be on, its easy to go the wrong way when theres a load of flags in front of you.

Don't rush round if you think you're getting behind, its better to just do 3 laps comfortably & learn stuff, rather than push too hard to finish the 4th & crash because your knackered..

Make sure your tyres are the correct pressure at the start, no more than 4psi rear, 6psi front. This venue can be slippy.

Have fun, i'll probably see you there.

Edited by tshock250

Hey, im new to trials and going to the same event at Aughertree, rode a couple of trials before this but struggled with the sections. What I found was best is to just have a play about at the start until most riders pass the first section, so not so many are watching you, or you can skip the first and head straight to the second, if its your first trial dont expect to finish it, just go and enjoy the ride. How much experience do you have so far on bikes?

Thanks everyone, yeah, the whole flag thing looks confusing to a newbie.

Experience on bikes? On a trials bike? About 2 hours! Road bikes..... 10 years, mountain bikes... 22 years.

It seems to feel very similar to my downhill bike, only a lot heavier, and my feet don't go round in circles.

So I'm straight into the fire really,

Looking forward to meeting a new group of people and hopefully driving home with no broken bits....me or the bike!

I'll be on an old Sherco 290 with an orange jacket, wobbling around and asking loads of stupid questions.

Graeme.

did my 1st trial a few weeks ago too, tbh  it is dead relaxed compared to other motorbike sport i've done.

my bit of advice would be carefully look at the sections mate, I didn't get off & walk some of them, just looked at other peoples routes & there are flags all over,

& its annoying when you lose marks for going through the wrong route!!

Bloody flags, bring back the tape.......

Hi,

Heard this last week of an absolutely superb idea being used very successfully by one group - obviously out to enjoy themselves and have sport.

They have a class, could be called 'Beginners', with distinctive riding numbers.  That means they can be easily identified and probably results in friendly 'natter' from the other riders.  

But the genius of the idea is that the 'Beginners' route in every section is ride in between the 'Begins' cards and out through the 'Ends' cards - and anywhere you like in between........

If I were setting a trial that had one very tricky hazard that couldn't be avoided it would have a 'Beginners No Entry' sign at the start in order to ensure no damage or injury.

Then again, every trial I ever organised had a very straightforward first section that I intended every rider to get through easily, that way they set off around the course in a positive mood, looking forward to enjoying themselves..........

• Like 1