Which Bikes To Avoid For A Newbie?

dunk

Bit of back ground first.

Had trials bike 20 years ago, mainly trail riding in Yorkshire nothing serious. 

Been on sports bikes since, but with traffic, road conditions, etc, getting too dangerous.

Now living in Norfolk, and found a great place for trials riding 8 miles away(Trials park Corton), so decided to get back into it.

Now the problem. Which bike? Don't want to spend a fortune straight off so thinking £1500 or so for bike.

For that money seem to be looking at about 2005 ish bike. As no trials shops in Norfolk, Suffolk area realise gonna have to travel, probably back to Yorkshire. 

Plenty of beta 250 rev 3's about. Various GG 250 txt pro's odd 300 too. Also spotted a sherco 320 4t as well?

So wondered if anyone can advise on which way I might be best looking. Or more importantly which if any i should stay away from!

Getting rather excited about getting back into trials bikes, so any help and advise gladly received,

Thanks.

cheers for comments so far.

sat here reading review after review, was getting to the decision to avoid sherco 4t. lot of starting and cutting out problems? carb related by the sound of it. any one had dealings with ras at brighouse or UK trials in horsforth? seem to be 2 of the bigger shops in driving distance!

cheers for comments so far.

sat here reading review after review, was getting to the decision to avoid sherco 4t. lot of starting and cutting out problems? carb related by the sound of it. any one had dealings with ras at brighouse or UK trials in horsforth? seem to be 2 of the bigger shops in driving distance!

Trials UK are fine, never dealt with RAS

Dunk,

6 month ago (due to working abroad) i sold a mint 2009/ registered 2010 GasGas Raga 300 for £1650. (and it genuinely was mint!)

Point im tying to make is buy new as you can, you can still  get good deals every now and again but be very careful of those who are trying to prize your money away!  You can buy much newer than 2005!!!

Look for cracked frames, worn motors, etc!  Even on 1 and 2 year old bikes this happens, people cover them up and sell on quickly!

By the size you want!!   Plenty will tell you that this size will do this, this will be too much for you, you should learn on this one!!  

All i say is if you really want a 300 then go and buy a 300! Yes its a steeper  learning curve but boy so much fun!!!  Just enjoy the ride!

Which Bike!  Thats you preference on what floats your boat!  

Personally I like GG. Others like Beta, Ossa, Sherco, Scorpa, Mont!   I'm not saying i dont like these as i do but the charastics are slightly different!

Basically GG, Sherco and Scorpa all look and handle very similar!  Beta looks different, handles different but an amazing bike no less!  Ossa is fuel injected, having probs with spares at present but a lovely bike. Monty 315 is a quality older bike which is rising in price.  Monty 4RT is a 4 Banger so power delivery differs!

Enjoy which ever bike you get!

They're all better than majority of riders and the end result is they will all do the same!  

• Like 1

thanks for info on Ras. and also UK trials didn't know they sponsored this site. definite thumbs up for that. And Brentmain, I was thinking along those lines thanks for confirming it. it's great to know the amount of help there is out there from real users, rather than onlooker's with an opinion.... 

It might be worth spending about £1300 and saving a couple of hundred to freshen up the bike - new grips, controls, plug, bearings, filter, fluids, silencer packing, and perhaps a tyre. The bike will be more reliable and will ride better.

Good luck with whatever you buy.