Which Bikes To Avoid For A Newbie?

dunk

Saying a 300 is suitable for a novice is not the best of advice. Most average to good riders are over-biked with a 300, never mind a novice. A 250, even a 200, will do anything an average to good clubman rider will ever ask of it and it will also be capable of doing a lot of things that they don't have the ability to make it.

A modern 300 is too powerful and fitting spacers, weights, compression reducers etc etc is just needless when there is a 200 or 250 option. I rode a 125 Gas Gas recently that would do anything needed in a club trial and I'm pushing 18 stones in riding gear. I also tried a 300 Sherco and unless you are riding sections that require that kind of power - ie: monumental climbs or 6' steps with no run up, it's pointless. It was ferocious and would drag a novice through a section. I wouldn't want to ride one.

Look at most of the traditional type nationals now, there are twinshocks and Pre65 bikes right at the sharp end of the clubman class results, heading many modern bikes, and there have been one or two outright wins as well - and that includes 175/200 Yams. 300 power just isn't needed and is of no benefit to a novice rider.

• Like 3

I would steer away from Montesa 315 as they are a very good bike but spares are getting hard to find, I was going to get one so i rang a Honda dealer just to ask about spares,  he told me that piston rings are no longer available for them, they have 3 rings and the top ring is a special one that was only made for that engine and is no longer available. He advised me to get a Beta,Sherco,or Gas Gas as parts for these bikes are still available.

I got a very good condition road reg 2007 Beta 250 Rev3 for £1500 its ideal for what I want.

Afraid I beg to differ iv just totally revamped my 315,new piston,rings small end, gudgeon pin,circlips,gaskets etc all from craigs. Parts are easily obtainable,and the 315 is a cracking bike imo.

I agree the Montesa 315 is a cracking bike that's why i was going to get one. I am only going on what the Honda dealer told me,he said the piston ring problem has only started being a problem in the last few months. He also said something  about Honda only make spares until 10 years after the new models are launched.

If I can find out for sure there is no problem with parts, I will buy one as I am looking for another bike for my son.

Opinions are like butt holes, everybody has them and they all stink!!! Ride as many bikes as you can and pick the one that you feel most comfortable on, who cares what somebody else thinks they are not riding it You are!! Just make shure its not a mechanical mess

• Like 3

Not maybe a Sherco 4t...

...Well, really maybe not the 2005 model (Chrome frame) anyway, unless you are a bike expert.

Also care as some 250s have generally been considered to be a bit 'sharp' for muddy UK, fine on dry rocks (Holá España) hence the popularity of the bigger engine models of the same make in the UK and other wet parts. 

As others have said; try and ride a few bikes first as I reckon that is the no.1 reason to choose a bike, how it feels or 'suits you Sir' :icon_salut: .

The no.2 is a little more debate-able but,if you're going back to trials school; how it survives being dropped regularly :blush:

My 'Montesa 315 was a really tough,very well built bike. I had owned Gassers before but the Montesa was a great 'learner' bike.

IMHO.

• Like 1

thanks to every on for all there comments on this matter especially enrico for the heads up on john lee motorcycles. missed that one.

well I bought one. found a shop in Skegness with both a 2005 beta 250 rev 3 and a 2005 gg txt pro 250 raga, both at same money so trotted off to have a look for a side by side look.

after a chat with the owner/mechanic, I was waving towards the beta as descrided as Tonka toys, versus the lighter weight, therefore slightly more fragile gg!

after hearing both of them started the gg sounded sweet, kicked second kick all seemed well. however the beta which started first kick had a definite knock at lower end of engine? then I found out the beta had also had a new rear brake master cylinder new rear mud guard new handle bars and new sticker kit on it. started wondering at this point what state was it in before? the gg looked very much left as was and I more honest all round machine.

so long story short, I know not everyone will agree, but after I haggle I have now got a 2005 gg txt pro 250 raga edition which I paid a shade under £1400 for and pick it up next Saturday.

was looking towards montesa but getting a bit rare and when they do come up out of my current price range.

thanks again for all your advise and help, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again(and again and again)for advise and support.

what I great website this is......