Water Getting In Airbox

tom675

My 2016 evo 2t is getting water in the airbox and then getting into carb causing it to get dirt into jets. Then bike runs rough. Iv tried a few things to stop it but with little success. Any tips are welcome, surely theres a few ssdt riders out there that know how to water proof a bike??

Ye its from riding, i always dry out airbox and clean carb after every ride and wash.

Plug is still in as iv sometimes had to drain airbox mid trial.

Iv seen the plastic covers but wondered if bike would get enough air if fitted with one.

Cant understand how my bike is letting water in when most people with betas i speak to have never had an issue

Hi

I have a Beta Factory , you are not alone in the fight against water in the box .

It is a problem with the bike , deep water , it will find its way in .

I have spoken to  Beta owners many have had or have the problem .

I have done the following to cure it .

Front fender mud extender 

Plastic guard that runs up the gap between the silencer and air box 

Plastic clear filter cover , it is not for the latest Evo models but its easy to make fit , I had to drill a few holes in it to allow enough air in , obviously holes allow water in but its harder to get through !

Ram  water filter sponge in all the gaps round the air box , shock area etc  ( it still gets enough air )

Tape over the hole where the electrics are stored 

My secret weapon , I have velcroed a super absorbent pad into the bottom of the box . This soaks up anything that might get passed all the other defences .

I have tested to extreme by splashing my way through deep water , all the above did the job !

Good luck 

• Like 1

http://www.trialscentral.com/attachments/article/15784/2014%20Beta%20Scottish%20Six%20Days%20Trial%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf

Check out page 5, I did this to my 09 plus made my own shield

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=beta+air+filter+cover&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPt4ykkPzKAhXDGpQKHZFABmoQsAQIGw&biw=1280&bih=867#imgrc=hZzY3HUtxQTsaM%3A

out of an old plastic folder, the foam stops the water splashing up through the frame and passed the motor and the shield stops the water falling down into the inverted air filter,

Steve,

Edited by vonhazza

Run a good thick bead of sikaflex around the opening of the filter and around the silencer bolt to frame area.

And don't ride through ever puddle and stream u come to lol ...

It's just one of those things u have to put up with on a trials bike water will always find a way into places eventually.

The top of the carb body is another place to look out for..( the 2 screws) I have made a small rubber boot from a bicycle inner tube that slides over this and helps keep water oot

I've also filled the side mesh bits with clear silicone to help stop water getting in that way, did it when I got my Evo 250 from Steve Saunders, on his recommendation(suggest he knows his stuff!), I don't run those plastic filter covers and don't get any water in the air-box, also did it on my lads Evo 125 when I got that a couple of years ago and again no water. We've since changed our bikes and now both running 300 Evo 4t's, again the mesh is packed/filled with clear silicone sealant and again no water in either airbox.