Experience With An Em5.7

wackston

Thought I'd share my experience of the EM5.7 I bought last autumn.

First off a little background. I'm a long-time road bike rider who switched to dirt bikes a few years back because (a) exciting riding on roads is too d**m dangerous (B) track days here in southern Germany were too time consuming and expensive © dirt biking I can do together with my kids (they're only young once).

Before the EM my only exprience of trials was the odd borrowed ride in a gravel pit or w/e courses. My main ride is a 350 ktm sports enduro (mostly ridden on local motocross tracks) but my kids (also riding mx) started with an OSET and continue to love riding their electric trials bikes. Jealous of watching them zip around having fun whenver they felt like it in the back garden and adjoining stand of trees like it I decided to splash for the EM and join them.

First off the EM has been, by far, the bike I've had the most use out of bar none. Being able to simply pull boots, jacket, and helmet and go ride in your own backyard makes all the difference. Fancy mucking about sliding turns when there's snow in the garden or a quick (illegal) whirr along the canal - no problem. Situations where a petrol bike would cause complaints or even result in a call to the cops. No problem. A polite slow-down to walking speed to pass the dog walkers and so far not even a terse word.

Technically the Bike is extremely capable. It's got a bit less raw raw grunt off the throttle or clutch than the 200cc Petrol trials I'd ridden before. I reckon even my son's 65cc crosser is a spot sharper off the gas. That said its got all thr grunt I need, open the throttle sharply and the front wheel comes up nicely, but unlike the ktm I don't feel like inattention would have me flipped onto my back. Quite like a 125 trials bike I suspect. Also the power that's there is ridiculously controllable. The pseudo-clutch is really only there to snap up the front wheel. The slowest crawl is easily ridden off the throttle with instant response to rider inputs. This is all to the good since the clutch seems to be on/off with no provision for slipping. Pull it, open the throttle a bit, and release and there's brief surge of power for a quryer second or so. No noticeable simulation of a biting point.

Mechanically the bike easily matches the quality for the borrowed betas and gas-gas I've ridden before. The suspension is capable beyond anything I can ask of it with decent quality components, plastics and thick paintwork all round. That said the Bike is very obviously a small-batch effort. For example, the box for the mapping switch is a generic hobbyist catalogue part that's slightly too big for its location in the frame and seat plastics are held by generic rubber-seated lens-head bolts rather than quick release fastness specific to the job.

The good: terrific fun, excellent motor regulation / mapping, quality frame, brakes, suspension etc. Conventional footbrake and clutch so you can easily switch to/fro your petrol bikes. Battery durability is excellent. An hours trialling around rarely discharges more than 15%. Mucking around doing "GARDEN MX", practicing crude wheelies mostly off the throttle etc still gives 2 or more hours riding time.

The not so good: the 15A charge adaptor (I got the sport version) is a dud. It suffers from horrific in-rush when first switched on - trips the circuit breaker on a couple of the mains in my house. Often it actually only starts charging when plugged in a second time (with already-charged smoothing cap). I work for a semiconductor company that builds power transistors and controllers for this kind of stuff - in-rush like that is probably putting components well out of spec - NOT good for device durability.

Things to bear in mind: the battery needs to be stored away from hard frost and won't charge below 5-10C. So keeping it in the garden shed etc won't work in mid-winter in cool / continental climates. Hence the lack of fast fasteners for the seat plastic and the battery itself is more of at nuisance than you'd imagine. For "trail riding" usage you really do miss a gearbox. It's simply geared too low for efficient riding at more than 30km/h and at what feels like around 35km/h the Motor reaches a rev limit. As such the homologation as a 125 equivalent is very misleading. Trundling down down a green lane or bridle path would be great. For riding on a road it's basically a 50cc moped - too slow to go with traffic even in a 50km/h (30mph) Limit.

Overall: it's hard to overstate how liberating is is to have a fun, capable, trials bike you can without the noise/complaints Issues.

• Like 5

"The not so good: the 15A charge adaptor (I got the sport version) is a dud. It suffers from horrific in-rush when first switched on - trips the circuit breaker on a couple of the mains in my house. Often it actually only starts charging when plugged in a second time (with already-charged smoothing cap). I work for a semiconductor company..."

Hmm, Rural French house wiring comes to mind, that always looks as if it has been installed after testing a carafe or three of Beaujolais. 

Seriously though,  good luck with the EM

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello from Finland,

At the age of 53 and having ridden motored two wheelers for 45 years I finally fulfilled my childhood dream and bought a trials bike - an EM57.... I must say I utterly love it.

Although this is my first trials bike, I've done quite a bit of dirt riding in the past. Even injured myself permanently almost 20 years ago so that my daily ride is a dual clutch Honda NCX DCT.... my left leg is missing a number of muscles, the knee is in a rather bad condition as are a few other joints etc.... I have an old 1986 VFR too, but it gets ridden very little for obvious reasons.

Having no gears to shift is a game changer for me, the lack of noise makes it possible to ride at our own property w/o having even to think of what the neighbors might think :) .

I have reserved app an acre of very versatile terrain for this purpose alone - 15m of elevation difference means great inclines. There's soft undergrowth and challenging rocky sections too. I have started to thin out the trees.... most of the arm thick spruces will have to go :) .

Though I have approached all this with an extremely humble attitude, riding a trials bike is far more challenging I ever imagined. Having said that the learning curve is also steeper than I had imagined. The EM makes all this possible for me, a conventionally powered and geared bike might not have been possible or at least not a good choice for me.

Battery charge is more than adequate for me - I run out of juice much faster than the bike. Four hours of riding at my skill level does not drain it. Usually I can ride the whole weekend with just one charge. I have the 10A charger and it takes app 2 hours to fully charge an almost empty battery.

The bike has more than enough punch for me - I have only just started to use the more powerful "map 2".... and the power is very easy to control just with the throttle. The 2016 "Lite" does not have the electric clutch as standard - it's an option. I have seen (on an Aussie site) a left hand rear brake conversion using a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Just to be able to concentrate learning to steer with my feet (balancing weight on the pegs) I might go this route. It's a cheap and easy mod.

Just thought I'd say hello and let you guys know what I think of the EM !

Kind regards from Finland,

Tapani

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

First ride on my new 5.7

As age has crept up on me...I have less interest in crashing...so moved down a class...which proved a bit too easy. Soooo, wanted to try something new:

1. Think of an underpowered 2007 Scorpa SY250...very similar characteristics.

2. its a bit heavy...like an older scorpa or 4rt

3. First ride was 45 minutes to 25% charge...not sure if it was really at 100%

4. Low speed throttle response is unparalleled

5. Map 1 is adequate for most Nov/Ama/Sr.Ama sections...but you will use a lot of throttle

6. Map 2 will readily do any Sr. Ama. section I have ever rode

7. Both map 1 and 2 would do the biggest hills I normally ride on my gas bike, Map 1 required a good run...Map 2 would make it from a total stop...but with little left to spare

8. No need to use brakes to slow down... the regen has significant slowing effect

9. Events with long/high speed loops will suck

10. 50 minutes t0 a full charge

10. Next stop...a real event

Edited by nottoogood
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I posted this previously on another thread but it belongs here...

As a long time (since 2013) and older EM owner I enjoyed the dialogue above and so to add my 2 cents cos I can...

I compete at a relaxed level in local trials:

• its competitive at the level of most mere mortals
  • low speed control is far easier than most clutch/throttle balancing, cos its just throttle
  • It never stalls
  • It always starts
  • The engine when stationary has no gyro effect so improve your balancing
  • I don't do splatters
  • It has incredible grip
  • It takes time (months not minutes) to adapt, timing is different so logs and steps need practice
  • I've ridden it through water up to mid point on the motor and it didn't fizz and steam
  • I have to shout "Rider" loudly before I enter the section
  • It creates interest and sometimes amazement at what it can achieve
  • I have not yet (at my level) found a section that the bike was the limiting factor.
  • I ride club trials with short loops, I would not enjoy long loops.
  • The whine can get to you on the trail, greasing the primary chain helps. (Is there a conversion to toothed belt available?)
  • Club trials I have never exhausted the battery, have got to red so...
  • I have a small (1500w) back up generator for house power outs, I take it with me, as sometimes I need to charge at the end of the trial as people want to borrow the bike. It takes about half a litre of gas to recharge from 40% (average battery status at the end of most trial)
  • I don't mind lending my bike - there is so little to break, no clutch to smoke, engine to over rev, rad or gas tank to puncture.
  • Longer loops I plug in for 20 minutes when I stop for refreshment, top up every opportunity is the key to using electric - just like a cell phone.
  • When I first got the bike it took some time to get the power controller parameters right, it had a habit of cutting out on hard hill climbs if you went over a log.  Settings came from EM that fixed this about 2 years ago.  It is very easy to tailor the power settings (that said - I haven't touched my settings since the factory recommendations).
  • Early lesson for all EM riders - when you fail on an uphill climb, apply the brakes or keep a little power on, everyone seems to do the scary backward freewheel once, there is no stalled engine or clutch to stop you plummeting back down the hill backwards.
  • If waiting in line - switch off, if you or someone else without thinking tweaks the throttle you will take off like a started deer - taking others with you.
  • Top speed is about screaming level in 2nd gear on a gas trials bike
  • Tight trails are great fun loads of easy power until you hit top speed them blah - thats it, something that never happens on a gas bike.
  • Get used to being left in the dust on the faster trail rides
  • I'm used to being called "Sparky"
  • Notice how smelly and irritating to the eyes gas bike exhausts are (try to impose a no idling rule   :closedeyes: )
  • End of the day I wash it, park it in the basement (no smell of gas) and charge it (about 50 minutes), ready for the next trial
  • I have never had a complaint from neighbours when practicing, just "omg what is he doing now". In fact the bike just gets friendly acceptance and interest everywhere I ride.
  • I enjoy the ease and simplicity, and it works for me, but a replacement to all the functions a gas bike can offer it is not.
  •  
Edited by ninefives
  • Like 1

A lot of changes since 2013 for sure:

Although the earlier EM are performing very well:

2016 bikes changes:

- motor

- suspension

- battery

- parameters

As in all bikes, improvements ongoing, 

Brandon Schmidt just won the WTC West Canadian National Championships Advanced Class. We hope to see him in Expert next year.