315 Won't Start

barnesy

Hi All,

After spending an afternoon in the garage I was feeling really pleased with myself as I'd 

managed to bleed a spongy rear brake this was after trying various methods including

syringes and reverse bleeding/regular bleeding covering myself with fluid etc etc..

I managed to get the job done after taking the back of the bike off and bleeding the master cylinder.

Anyhow after putting everything back together I thought I'd start her up! usually a two kick affair from

cold and one kick when hot! after ten kicks nought!!

At that point I remembered last time I was out I was riding back to the van and the bike cut out as if 

it had run out of petrol though there was plenty of fuel in the tank. (had run fine all day up to that point)

I've got a pass this weekend so I'm going to try and get the bike started just wondered what I should

check? first thing I was going to look at was too see if there's a spark (not sure what I'll do if there isn't one!)

then see if there's any gunk in the carb.

After that I'm not sure what to check?  and suggestions as to what I should look at mucho appreciated!

Cheers all

3 things needed to make the bike run... Spark, fuel, and air.

I find spark the quick check, then I go to fuel as its more often my issue (good at keeping my filter clean) and last air including filter and the pipe.

If spark coil, pickup, plug, wires, or stator..

Fuel could be the float, the valve between the tank and the carb, jets, etc.

If air I have found dirty filters and plugged spark arresters to have been my most common issues, but a bad mid pipe or packing can be the cause as well.

Good luck.

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

At that point I remembered last time I was out I was riding back to the van and the bike cut out as if 

it had run out of petrol though there was plenty of fuel in the tank. (had run fine all day up to that point)

If fuel (kinked fuel line or blocked jet) and ignition (check spark) are ok, bearing in mind the age of the bike, it's probably worth checking main bearing seals and reeds. More often than not, if the main seals have gone, the bearing will have too. Easiest way to check is remove flywheel cover, firmly hold flywheel and feel for up / down play in the main bearing. To check the reeds, remove the carb and then the reed block from the engine. Check the reeds close properly and aren't broken or frayed.

Hi All,

Had a look a the bike this morning and I'm getting no spark..

Could anyone provide an idiots guide as to how check the coil, pickup, stator etc 

I've tried a new plug is it a matter of replacing parts until I get a spark or is there some dark art I need to know about

cheers

Hi all

Found the problem!  the fan had cut through a couple of wires running to the rubber box attached to the left side of the bike,

Glad it happened 10ft from the van not mile from the van on top of a moor....

Thanks for all your suggestions

• Like 2