Dot Trials Bikes

allan

Hi , I have got a contact with a guy who has 4 bikes for sale , 3 of which are DOT bikes, now I know nothing about them and have sketchy info . He says one is a Samba that was only made for a year and another has Banana forks . So the question is are they desirable to trials riders and are they reliable for road users as I may wont one for road use . Thanks for any help in advance . Cheers Allan .

Hi Allan,

DOT motorcycles were a small family firm manufacturing motorcycles in Salford, Manchester.

They were well made using square section tubing and mainly Villiers power units.  The range included trials and scrambles models, as well as a 'Mancunian' road bike.

Here are a couple of examples of the trials models in use.

An extensive feature on the various DOT models over the years is planned for forthcoming issues of our digital magazine, ORRe.

There is a very active Owners Club which can offer all the advice you may need.

post-19290-0-80395000-1455953005_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-46169400-1455953039_thumb.jpg

Hi Back in the days when I watched Scambles most riders had two bikes usually a 500 goldie and a 250 there were quite A lot of Dots used by some of the big names in the Scramble world but unfortunately Dots management was not as keen to develop to the extent Greeves were.

Hi,

Knowing, personally, the management of Dot and Greeves, I know that Burnard Wade was just as keen as Bert Greeves - but didn't have the resource essential to develop everything he would have liked........

DOT did have some interesting scramblers, as you would find in our digital magazine, ORRe, and here is a taster.  The Rickman brothers had DOT scramblers for some lightweight races before they liaised with Bultaco, including this novelty with a Villiers twin motor................

post-19290-0-55691600-1456055984_thumb.jpg