Sherco '02 290 Cutting Out

strugglinon

First trial under my belt today, but my bike keeps cutting out as if it's being starved of fuel. A really helpful rider on the same bike said that it's because the tap is below the carb and had rerouted his fuel line to stop it doing this. Anyone else had the same problem?, if so, how do I go about it?

Cheers

Graeme

change plug, check fuel flow, check tank cap vent, remove & clean carb & check float levels.

If no improvement you must check stator, these are very unreliable especially on older shercos (and I know) you would be looking at about £180-£200 to get an exchange one from splat shop.

Remove the fitting where the fuel line enters the carb & check that the strainer isn't blocked.

It does sound like a venting problem, make sure that the piece of clear hose that loops under the body to both vents has a notch out of it at the lowest point, it looks wrong but is required to stop the float bowl pressurising

I doubt your problem is the stator as normally if it's failing it will take 1/4 hour or so before it will start again

So it turns out that the carb doesn't have a link pipe. It's been removed.

The filter was a bit dirty and a little crap in the bowl.

Air box was drenched, cleaned dried and filter oiled. Refitted and sealed up the gap between airbox and the fender bracket.

Also it had the wrong plug in.

Started after a while and ran noticeably crisper.

Need to do a long run on it to be sure, but it seems to be a lot better.......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, so at the Brownrigg trial on Sunday, everything was going well. 3rd lap in the bike began to run badly.

On a steady throttle between sections it kept losing power then cutting out. After a long uphill drag to section 3 it died at the end of the climb then a huge cloud of white smoke from the exhaust. It started after 8-9 minutes, limped back to the car.

Got it home, half of the coolant has gone, stripped it tonight and there's milky residue around the kickstart shaft seal. Lots of muck around the water pump seals.

Lots of black slimy carbon on the piston crown.

I'll replace the gaskets and seals. What else should I be looking for?

Thanks for any advice.

Graeme.

Have a look at the weep hole under the water pump, should be clear. The hole is there to show if a seal has failed which it sounds like has happened

On that age bike I would suggest rebuilding the waterpump, the seals & bearings are fairly cheap, hopefully the shaft isn't grooved as they cost a lot for what they are. I can't remember when it was that the shaft design changed but the uprated 1 will be the only 1 available now

If you have the head off like it sounds like you do make sure you get new O-rings or did you remove cylinder & head as 1?

I'm thinking that your base gasket may have failed for some reason letting the coolant into the crankcase

Because you say there is a lot of milky residue around the kickstart shaft it will be a good idea to flush the cases out, you can overfill with kerosene or diesel & slosh it around then drain before doing a oil change straight after the first couple of rides