Bought A 2013 350 Evo

durham4416

Hi everyone, I bought my son a beta 80 for Christmas and now I've bought myself a 250 evo so I can play too. I bought it from a local dealer, the power delivery seems very soft, which I like (hope it's not too soft when I actually get out in it properly). The rear brake is squeaking a little, dealer was supposed to sort it but never mind, shall I just remove the calliper and clean the piston up a little? Any other tips?

I'm keen for my son to do some trials, sending for his acu this week, what are the classes etc? He is 10 on a big wheel 80. I wouldn't mind having a go too. Any advice would be massively appreciated. I've added some pictures of the Beta's. ?

477E1B97-7FF5-44D2-8AC6-41E4D3D63E03_zps

9A9696F3-3465-42B6-BBFE-604A10A26749_zps

705EF7E6-8937-4592-83F7-8180BDD7A88F_zps

Hi, Your son will be able to ride in  Schoolboy group C. I wouldn't be inclined to enter the trial and ride the sections with him to begin with as it takes too long for first him to queue then you,you tend to either be rushing all day or run out of time, but I would ask the organisers if it is ok to ride round with him as he will need pulling out of bogs, picking up out of streams etc and will need all sorts of pointers as to the best way to approach a section. Once he is confident and knows the ropes you will be able to ride the sections as well and hopefully have some excellent dad-son time together.

Enjoy

I brought my son on that way whos far better than me now (hes just gone 14, we ride trials together albeit twinshock and pre 65 now but we still do modern trials in the north east)

To be honest, richmond club are great with kids on conducted then beginners easy on the main route (where you can ride as well)

A couple of weeks ago we ride a guisborough trial and there seemed to be a lot of kids on the conducted route (we rode main trial)

Either of these are great routes to start on then any north east easy trial will be good for both of you

cheers

John

Sounds good, how will I find out if it has a flywheel weight fitted?

Take off the cover on the RHS of the engine and look at the flywheel, if you download a copy of the parts manual you can see what  the flywheel weight looks like,  I have an aftermarket one on mine which is different from the standard one and I prefer my 250 with the weight.

Also you should have a mapping switch put it on the race setting which could have a dry weather symbol on it not sure on that model.

Steve, 

Got my first ride out today, managed to come home with plenty of grazes, a bent rear brake lever and snapped rear mudguard. ?

Where is the best place for replacement parts, I never feel like I'm getting a fair price from my local dealer.

Also, couple of things I noticed, front brake lever is to far away from bars, seems different to adjust compared to any other bike I've had. The throttle seems a bit 'fluffy' hard to explain, does an ally throttle tube improve things?

I managed to climb most things I tried but it just seems a little slow revving, will have to check if it has a flywheel weight. I can't find the map switch either, so they all have them? Thanks in advance

From you pic, it appears there's not a Beta flywheel weight fitted as they come with a cover spacer that spaces out the flywheel cover.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/56767-beta-flywheel-weight-kit/

It's worth getting hold of a proper Beta weight kit (weight, cover spacer and longer bolts), they smooth out the power delivery a little and obviously weight up the engine for little more on the over run.

UK bikes should come with them fitted up to 2015, from 2015 they came with a complete flywheel that's heavier, but that won't fit the older bikes.

They sometimes come up on Ebay or try John Lampkins (UK Beta importer) for all your Beta specific spares, one from a Rev3 will fit as well.

You might be able to save part of your mudguard, there is an aftermarket rear section repair kit you might be able to fit if you haven't broken too much of your original, again search ebay.

A wouldn't worry about the map switch, it does very little on a 2 stroke, You can only make out a small difference on the Factory 300, I just removed mine as it was less than useless!

If it's a little slow revving/picking up and feels like in needs a bit more wrist action, look at the throttle tube (that the grip fits over).

Domino throttles come in two actions.

A black tube is slow action.

A white tube is faster. (they are only cheap, so is worth trying both, yes search ebay again!)

Also check the sprockets, it should be 11T - 41T but some gear them down to 10T - 41T, that'll cause it to feel rather tied down.

It's all about what works for you.

I like the flywheel weight, a fast action throttle and normal 11-41 gearing, without the weight my 300 is a bit punchy as the main jet kicks in, but the weight really does smooth it out.

There's two adjusters on the clutch/front brake, the outer one adjusts the reach, the inner one works on the master cylinder.

If you screw the outer adjuster in, it moves the lever in towards the bars, but you'll need to adjust the other adjuster (master cylinder one) out a bit as you always need a little lever free play (2 mm at the end of the lever before it starts to depress the master cylinder).

Without this free, when it all gets hot, the brakes/clutch will start to operate on their own.

The same free play is needed on all the hydraulics, so the same with the rear brake lever.

This

http://www.betamotor.com/system/attachments/0000/5986/evo2t_2013_ENG.pdf

and this

http://www.beta-uk.com/images/pdf/2013/EVO2T_125-300_2013.pdf

should be useful.

Edited by goudrons