Sherco 290 Spinning Up On Steep Uphills

sstout

Hi All

Just curious about what others are running on 290 sprockets?

I'm finding that whenever I do a steep or muddy uphill, the back wheel spins up and I either come to a stop or slide away to one side...

Now some of it is definitely me and my novice experience but I don't have the same problem on an enduro and its not all the tyres... so gearing is the next thing I was thinking of unless others have any suggestions?

Unless you have your suspension way too hard and you have decent tyres at the correct pressures, then its all about technique I'm afraid.

Have you tried using different gears/revs/speeds on the same hill again & again to see what difference it makes?

Edited by tshock250

You have to treat trials tyres differently. If the rear starts to spin, you have to back off the throttle to get grip back. A spinning trials tyre=useless, which is quite different to a spinning knobby.

It's a common mistake for people moving from enduro bikes to trials bikes

The rear tyre grip thing is why trials bikes engines have more flywheel effect built in than MX or enduro bike engines

• Like 1

here is the pic of the rear tyre.. its a Michelin X11 run at about 3-4psi in the wet, 6 in the dry, no issues in the dry ever, but nightmare on wet grass and mud...

I'll check rear shock settings but its pretty soft so then it's more practice required me thinks!

post-20864-0-78560000-1456232760_thumb.jpg

definitely well past its sell by date.... would be ok when its dry or rocky but you will struggle in the  mud with that, you will be amazed at the difference a new one would make

:blink: :blink: Looks to me like it's still weeks away from needing to be turned?

I've never ridden on a tyre that good.

Pick a hill that you can ride 8 or 9 times out of 10 and try the following....

Squat into the bike leaving just a couple of inches clearance, a*** around the shock area a little further back than your feet. Accelerate as much as possible in a short distance before the hill. Let your legs take up some of the movement so the suspension doesn't have to do all of the work. Try to maintain just enough momentum to get to the top by gently rolling off.

Then try it repeatedly with different fixed body positions, then try moving your body mid hill, then try shorter run ups which will necessitate more work with the throttle, then try a different hill, you'll end up with a feel for it.