53 Matchless Carb Set Up

cuzzy

Greetings All

I have just fitted a Mk1 concentric on my 53 Matchless in place of the old worn Mono block just wondering what jetting / slide other people were using as I cant get it to run spot on , I have to flood it to start even when hot and a flat spot on acceleration.

Any input welcomed

Regards

Geoff

Hi Dick

Got a bit carried away should have posted more details.53 G3LC 350 alloy comp motor/wader mag (just rebuilt by David Lindsey)

New amal premier carb set up as follows

26 mm bore

180 main jet

107 needle jet

standard needle middle slot

slide no 3 cut away

pilot jet 19

Regards

Geoff

Edited by cuzzy

Hi Geoff, if Dave has done ye magneto it will be right.

Some carb settings attached, Monobloc first used on and#39;55 models (after Aug and#39;54), prior to that they were side mount float chambers. 

The and#39;55 settings should be near enough, looking at the jet sizes I think I would experiment with something a bit bigger.

I understand Mono & Concentric sizes are the same.

Dick.

check float height first. easy on concentric. drop float chamber off, empty it, hold it level whilst it fills back up. it should stop with float sitting level, just proud of chamber body. petrol level about 4-5 mm below rim.

the new pilot system on the premier uses new jets with different numbering. the equivalent to the old number 25 will be about right.

If I had ordered a carb for this i would have said 3.5 cut away. 106 needle jet. 25pilot (new equivalent).

are you setting it up for trials? the phrase "flat spot on acceleration" made me wonder.