Evo Factory Or Trs?

heffergm

Beta vs TRS.... Fight!  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Beta EVO Factory vs TRS One

• Beta
    • TRS
    • I can't decide! My brain hurts too much!

1 hour ago, al_orange said:

Have I? Actually I was leaning towards the beta until I read about the popping out of gear. I'd say that is unacceptable on a trials bike. The main selling point of the beta is that it is tried and tested and they last really well but if that isn't true then the trs stands above it I guess. 

I don't think every Beta EVO  pops out of gear just like not every GasGas takes 15 kicks to start

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

I don't think every Beta EVO  pops out of gear just like not every GasGas takes 15 kicks to start

Problem is, if anyone is going to have a problem bike it'll be me. I can guarantee it. Happens every time. It's why I won't buy second hand, but even then every new bike I get has problems. 

2 hours ago, heffergm said:

They all have quirks. Beta sells plenty of bikes every year, if it was an issue for all of them they wouldn't still be in business. 

I guess you pick your quirks.. but I think the trs ones sound more trivial than it jumping out of gear. I mean, what's the point buying a new bike to make the most of a trial, when the bike can ruin it.. potentially dangerously too. 

@al_orange I am in exactly the same predicament. You set your mind on one bike then a common fault pops up like the Beta jumping out of 2nd gear. 

I must admit though from my recent experience, you need to get a good ride on them and buy which ever one you like riding. I went for the Vertigo after reading almost every section on every modern bike on here and it turned out the bike didn’t work for me at all and i’ve just sold it. I think the geometry was all wrong for me and I just couldn’t throw the bike around like my old Gasgas. I’d rode a 2018 Beta Evo for a full day just before buying the Vertigo and thinking back, I did really well on that. The dragging clutch really put me off buying one of the day though and I wasn’t on this forum then so hadn’t seen the clutch fix. 

Based on what i’ve read and seen, i’m really hoping the TRS works for me, but i’m struggling to get a good ride in one. I can test a new Beta, GasGas, Scorpa and Sherco at Inch Perfect but they arent a TRS dealer. If one of them feels right though, i’ll buy it and deal with what ever issue it’s known for. It seems any trials bike that’s been around for a while is known for having atleast one common issue. Normally followed by a common fix... 

If you are young and full of energy the TRS is the bike as it does everything better than the Beta. But,it is quick. The Beta does everything well enough, and 99 percent of them do not pop out of gear. But, they are a slower handling machine. As of now the Beta can have a heavier flywheel too. I have the same choice to make in the near future. I really love my `16 Beta Factory 250. It fits me perfect at almost 60 years old. Every time I get on my son`s 2018 TRRS 300 RR I love it. But does it really fit my style? I need to ride a full day in an event to see for sure.

The bikes in question for me will be standard models, no factory or RR models needed just yet and i’m told by the dealers they would probably hold me back a little for being too snappy. I’ve heard the TRS ONE is a really nice smooth beginner friendly bike but it’s no secret that the Beta Evo is the most popular clubman bike on the market, certainly in the UK anyway. Checking any trials results you’ll always see the Beta’s making up most of the numbers from top to bottom so they are obviously doing something right. 

I’m open to all brand new 2t’s but I have a feeling it’s going to be a Beta with the clutch fix and an aftermarket fuel cap, just because I can get a good test ride on one of those and i’ll struggle to test ride a TRS. 

As a side note, do the Beta and TRS feel similar in terms of Geometry/riding position? I liked the riding position of the Beta, struggled with the riding position on my Vertigo ? 

2 hours ago, Ricki mcvey said:

Saying that... the 18’s and 19’s still jumping out of gear is a real concern for me. I’d be gutted if I bought a brand new bike and it started jumping out gear. That’s a pretty big problem in my opinion ? 

Yep. Me too. I was pretty much convinced the beta would be the wise choice but you can't overlook something like that. 

I'm going to try and test the TRS one and RR back to back and see what I think. I've had a little spin on the One and it is very light and a lot snappier than my knackered old rev. I'd prefer the RR if I'm honest but not if it's too much bike. 

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

If you are young and full of energy the TRS is the bike as it does everything better than the Beta. But,it is quick. The Beta does everything well enough, and 99 percent of them do not pop out of gear. But, they are a slower handling machine. As of now the Beta can have a heavier flywheel too. I have the same choice to make in the near future. I really love my `16 Beta Factory 250. It fits me perfect at almost 60 years old. Every time I get on my son`s 2018 TRRS 300 RR I love it. But does it really fit my style? I need to ride a full day in an event to see for sure.

I have read that the 300 is a real experts bike and very aggressive. Coupled with the RR extra snap I wonder if that's a fair comparison? Of course you're a very experienced rider so maybe it won't make that much difference to you. 

I really wish the beta didn't have the gear issue... And wasn't red... I just do not like red bikes. Lol

28 minutes ago, al_orange said:

Yep. Me too. I was pretty much convinced the beta would be the wise choice but you can't overlook something like that. 

I'm going to try and test the TRS one and RR back to back and see what I think. I've had a little spin on the One and it is very light and a lot snappier than my knackered old rev. I'd prefer the RR if I'm honest but not if it's too much bike. 

Is that just because you like the bling of the RR? :D I still have a feeling im going to end up on a Beta, damn that gear issue that's come to light. I guess GasGas could be an option too but I did want the durability of a Beta or TRS. Test ride time this weekend I think. 

2 hours ago, al_orange said:

100%... I'm after a keeper so I figure I should find one that I still like the look of in the morning. ?

Ha too right. Im going the other way though and thinking i’ll get the one and drop it a load without scratching all that beauty white paint off! 

6 hours ago, al_orange said:

I have read that the 300 is a real experts bike and very aggressive. Coupled with the RR extra snap I wonder if that's a fair comparison? Of course you're a very experienced rider so maybe it won't make that much difference to you. 

I really wish the beta didn't have the gear issue... And wasn't red... I just do not like red bikes. Lol

Actually I fell in love with the Gold model`s rear shock. That is such a great feeling bike. Our Beta dealer had a 2019 model out this Sunday and I liked the red, but who knows what the Factory will look like.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With reference to the 2019 Beta I decided this time it was time for a new bike, the last one i had was a Beta 270 '06 which was absolutely bullet proof after all the mods had been done to it.

I was in a similar position I thought I fancied a change maybe a Vertigo Maybe a TRS in the end I decided on another Beta purely because it's all I've ever ridden as an adult and not had many problems with them at all. (apart from the easy fixes) and while I don't mind working on bikes I'd rather be riding them.  

The first times I took it out I loved it, felt silky smooth but maybe that was going down to a 250...then I went through a stage of "am I chopping it back in and trying aTRS" reasons being i don't like it when things don't work as they should...

1). Petrol Cap was pathetic (was too tight in the threads)

2). Gear Shift Dropped off ( the tightening bolt didn't clamp it onto the spindle, so had to alter that)

3). crap Clutch

4). fuel tap tight to turn

5). choke bad to turn on and off with my fat fingers

While these are admittedly small things the length of time this model has been out I was disappointed with it. To try and address the clutch problem slightly without doing Dan's mods on the first oil change I put some Putoline GP10 in it

The first time out it jumped out of 2nd gear on me...that was it I was selling it !

I've since gone back to the manufacturers recommended oil, and bought an aftermarket fuel cap...up to now it's not jumped out of second gear after about 18 hrs use, I can actually put petrol in it...

and i'm back in the happy zone.