New To All This

mikea

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I'm starting with a question..I'm currently building a bike based around a 2002 Enfield Bullet (500cc) whilst it is primarily aimed at informal riding I was curious to know what class it might fall in should I decide later to compete with it, after searching quite a few clubs rules and regs regarding classes (just to get a feel for it) it doesn't seem to fit any! it's not pre 65, its not pre 72 twinshock, its not classic and so on..is there such a thing as an open class? I am new to the Trials world and I apologise if my question is a bit of a no brainer, but I've got to start somewhere! many thanks for your time and thanks for reading this  :)

Edited by mikea

Hi mike,

The first thing to get your head round is the fact that in classic trials the actual year of first registration is not the deciding factor.  Of greater import is they type of bike.  Yours is based on a Madras built machine using the machine tools and jigs bought lock, stock and barrel from the Royal Enfield factory in Redditch when they introduced a replacement machine in 1957-ish.

Yours is a pre-unit, that is, the engine and gearbox, although bolted together, are separate units, not built into a single unit casing.  So it would class as a Pre-65 Pre-unit springer, because it has a swinging arm frame.

To be competitive most people would acquire an Enfield Crusader frame and shoe-horn the engine and gearbox into that, but if you just wanted to ride for the fun there are plenty of classic trials around the country with eased sections for beginners, or clubmen, etc., they all seem to call them something different.

If you want a better insight, just join our digital magazine, ORRe, where there are hundreds of photos of machines such as yours in action, with profusely illustrated photoreports of current classic events.

Attached, for example, is an image of a rider on a machine of similar origins to your own, enjoying a classic trial.

PHOTO:  MARY WYLDE

post-19290-0-96946300-1457262309_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2