Rear Wheel Bearing Removal Problems

glynn

I ordered some new rear wheel bearings for my txt pro and set about removing the old ones tonight. After some struggle I got the two spacers out to open the bearings up, however I have no way to remove the bearings as theres a centre spacer taking up the gap and is a smaller diameter than the bearing, so I cannot get any edge to knock the bearing outwards. Any help would be greatly apreciated as I want to get back out on the bike :D

Try the one pence piece trick

Place the the 1p in the center of the bearing and use an old socket that just slides through the center of the bearing.

Hit the socket punching the 1p into the bearing, once the 1p reaches the centre spacer continue knocking the socket until the bottom bearing falls out!

Or get a bench press!!

Give it a go.

Edited by jfc
  • Like 1

Try the one pence piece trick

Place the the 1p in the center of the bearing and use an old socket that just slides through the center of the bearing.

Hit the socket punching the 1p into the bearing, once the 1p reaches the centre spacer continue knocking the socket until the bottom bearing falls out!

Or get a bench press!!

Give it a go.

You genius! just gave it a try and worked perfectly! both bearings came out in about 30 seconds, I spent 2 hours tonight finding ways to get them out!! saved me £30 for a wheel bearing tool, this is why I love this community

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

My answer is a expanding mandrel.

Fit the mandrel in bearing

38827954291_af9538e37d.jpg

Put the expanding rod from other side

37941705095_dee399d9e4.jpg

Hit it with a hammer

38112014474_dbd96f6bfe.jpg

The bearing will exit centered. This is important to not enlarge hub hole

To fit new one, you will need a tool to keep spacer centered and apply force centered only on external ring

27353203689_75557735c6.jpg