2015 4Rt Sump Guard.

trial bike

Hi all,

I have a 2015 4RT.

I ride rocks quite a lot and my bike is gaining scars quite quickly in the shock linkage, footapegs and engine case areas.

I know the bike needs a stronger larger sump guard but am struggling to find one that fits properly.

I purchased one from H&D, a great bit of kit, but the bolt holes did not line up with my frame, so I returned it. (Great service by the way.)

On enquiring with my dealer, he stated that the 2015 bike is slightly different from the pre 2014 bikes and that no one produces a sump guard for it yet.

I have enquired with Splatshop but they say the part numbers for the CSP guard are the same from 2005 to 2015 and that the sump guards are quite often difficult to fit and using a G clamp can help.

I could have forced the H&D plate into position, but didn't want to. I like things to fit properly.

Surely forcing these plates to fit will stress the frame or engine.

I can't believe that post 2014 bikes are all being ridden on the standard soft baseplate.

What do you guys do or buy. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Regards, Dave.

Are you sure your frame wasn't bent itself and that's why the bolt holes didn't line up? I know from past experience as will most that when you take a sump guard off chances are you'll need a big ratchet strap or something similar to get it back on again.

• Like 1

I have an H&D sumpsheild on my 15,when I fitted it I caught each bolt by a couple threads 1st before tightening then up a bit at atime,fits perfectly. Had to use the same method on the stock one too every time I straightened it.

Your not bashing rocks hard enough mate

• Like 2

As cornish said, the trick is to screw the front bolts in by a couple of threads only. Make sure the rubber pads are in the correct place and the rear should screw in fairly easily. Tighten all equally a little at a time. H&D ones are a good bit of kit and do take some hammer.

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 2

My Miitani has gone from 09 to 15 no problem and yes I am hard on bash plates.

I'm pretty sure there is no difference 05 to 16 on hole centres for bash plate, just a fitting technique required to compress rubbers cushions. 

I have seen some H&D ones bend very easy but cant comment personally.

I had a bespoke one made for my 05 which as a little wider to protect water pump, extended under footrest and also linkage. I had it made from thicker material and made sure alloy spec was correct -  tough but not too malleable 

• Like 1

One method I've used in the past is to buy matching bolts but an inch or so longer. It allows plenty of room to locate the plate holes to the frame and when wound in remove one at a time and fit the originals. You have to make sure you have enough room for the extra length of bolt though to miss the engine whilst winding it up but this used to work really well on my previous Rev3's. I have also used the ratchet strap method in the past as well as valium and the Samaritans.

• Like 1

A new sump guard fits easily, but after a few bumps and bashes they become misshaped. When you come to change the oil filter the guard needs to come off, usually under lots of tension! Inevitably the sledge hammer comes out to reshape it to help re fitment.

• Like 2

I tried the H & D and found it much softer than the stock OEM plate. Threw it in the trash after getting tired of constantly having to straighten it. Next I tried the Mitani.  This was a good plate, that had the proper hardening. It held up nicely. I recommend Mitani, or stock.