2016 Showa Shock Info

andilicious

Hi All,

Does anyone know the maximum preload you can put on the stock spring before you need to move up a spring rate?

I've wound mine up to 120mm Spring length at the moment and it feels better but I want to go a bit more if possible.

Cheers

Andy

:wall:  :popcorn:  :blush:   By your question it is obviouse you are new to trials.  Nobody is answering because they do not understand your question.

"Maximum preload".  What are you trying to achieve?  Help us help you.  The rate of spring needed for a given riders weight has got nothing to do with "Maximum  Preload".

Do you understand the theory behind sag, preload, free sag, and why it is important, or are you thinking if you jack up the spring as high as it will go then it will make you be able to hop?

Thanks for the comments.

The manual does not state the maximum preload, only the free length and the factory setting.

I am on the limit of what the stock spring is rated at but don't want to wind it past its limit as it is not documented anywhere.

I don't want to get the correct "garage reading" of sags and then drop off a ledge and the spring become coil bound and break!

Hope that makes helps you to help me.

There is nothing in a users manual that shows you how to set the "Maximum Preload".

How do you know you are on the "limit" of the spring?

Do you know how to set sag etc.  If you can not get the correct sag with a spring then that is the determining factor of the weight class of the spring you need.

Once again, do you understand how to set sag etc?  If not then please browse through this forum for many good article on how to set it.

Your are making this way too complicated.   Maybe ask the guys how to set sag and then we will all help you.

Out of setting sag you will learn if you have the correct weight class of spring.

Making the suspension, front and rear, work together evenly is the most critical factor.  Setting correct sag is the best starting place for this.  On my Montesa I am on the higher end of the range for my weight and yet with my sag correct I find the bike rides great and I don't have to crank the pre-load up just had to get the sag as close as I could (little on the soft side) and make sure I didn't have the rear or front a lot softer or harder than the other.  

Hope that helps.  

I weigh on or just over, probably over with all my gear on what the standard spring will be suitable for, although no where is this documented.

There is almost enough thread on the preload to coil bound the spring off the bike so my question is what is the maximum you can compress / add preload to it until it is no longer suitable and I have to go to the next rate up!

I don't see why this is such a difficult question?

If I get the correct sag setting with the Spring at say 80mm long the first time I ride it it will break.

All I want to know is at what point is the next spring rate needed.

Is it more than 120mm go up, more than 115mm go up etc.

If you attempt to adjust the sag correctly and you need to go up a spring you shoud find correct setting/readings are not possible.

FYI: I am not saying if you can get correct sag and it doesn't seem right you should ride it to test (please don't break yourself or the bike). If You could give us the numbers... Sag, rider weight, spring setting, etc. maybe then we can help figure out if the next spring up is worth it?

I will pull my settings this evening (time permitting) and can post them up for comparison if you think that will help?

Edited by jonnyc21

Right sorry for the delay but I finally got chance to take some measurements.

Weight with gear 90kg

Rear, measured from the tape hooked under the rear spindle nut to the edge of the carbon exhaust guard. Spring preloaded to 120mm off the bike.

Off the ground - 515

Static sag - 510 = 5mm

Race sag - 445 = 70mm

Front, measured from the tape hooked under the front spindle up to the lower triple clamp. Preload 3 turns in from full out.

Off the ground - 565

Static sag - 545 = the 20mm

Race sag - 510 = 55mm

From just being on the bike and consciously thinking how it feels the rear seemed to drop nicely but the forks seem to stay up too much. I tried changing my body position a little but it didn't make any drastic changes to the results.

Can anyone comment on the numbers?

Sounds like you need a stiffer rear spring.

Your race sag sounds about right but your initial sag doesn't appear to be enough.

Should be around more like 10-15mm.

You are having to crank up the spring preload so you can be about correct with your race sag (otherwise if you set your initial sag at 10-15mm your race sag would probably be 80 mm or more). Having this extra preload makes the bike with the initial 5mm sag stiff which makes the suspension stiff in the first inches of travel.

Most Trials machines come with a stock spring that handles an approximate rider weight range from about 135-175lbs (like around 60-80 kg).

A softer suspension ( not under a lot of preload ) works to help the rider and machine roll over obstacles with a less jarring motion and (better tracking over obstacles) to the rider and machine This is why changing the spring is the best option.