Sy250 Or 315R?

mutley22

I'm looking at either a 315r or an Sy250. Montesa prices seem have to gone through the roof so the scorpa is looking tempting but if I'm honest I don't know a lot about either bike.

I'm a novice/intermediate rider, mostly ride enduros but like to practice/play on trials. I'm 6'4" and around 85kg. I've had a rev3, txt250 and a sherco 250 in the past but big gaps between each bike so hard to compare. Haven't ridden trials for a while but want to have another go, any recommendations?? Parts availability is something worth considering, I'm looking at between 00 and 05 bikes because limited budget. Thanks

I have a TY350 and a Fantic Section, so I'm not the best person to give you advice ... but I have friends with both 315r's and SY250's. I'd choose the Scorpa. Yamaha engine (the years you are looking at), steeper steering angle/tighter full-lock turns. A bit lighter, and just plain nice to ride ... a bit weird-looking though.

I own both.  A 2008 SY250R and a 2002 315R.  Both have great engines, Scorpa Yamaha and Montesa Honda.  Both are great bikes, but are different. 

The Montesa has the smoothest engine at low rpms, The Scorpa hits harder.  It think the Montesa is easier to do full lock turns on than the Scorpa, Both handle great, but have different feel as the Scorpa has a linkless rear suspension and the Montesa is linked.  The suspension on the Scopra (Marazzoci Aluminum front and Sachs rear) has literally saved my butt more than once, as it just seams to soak up the rough stuff and is much like my 94 Fantic KRoo was, you just point it at something and it will go over it.  The Montesa has Showa (iridium) front and rear.  I think the Showa suspension is the best ever put on a Trials bike.  Smooth like butter.

I do think the Montesa is easier to work on, especially carb work, but once you figure out the sequence for doing it, the Scorpa is no big deal either.  Both have great plastic.  Scorpa steel frame, Mmontesa auminum.  Both have he same control components.

Both of my bikes have original plastic, and although they are scratched up some both rear fenders have bent almost double and neither broke, but I removed the rear mount screws and replaced them with Zip ties that will break before the rear fender does,  The Montesa is the easier starter, two kicks cold, one warm.  The Scorpa is three kicks cold, one warm.  The Scorpa uses that  funky TK carb which can be a little hard to find jets for. 

Both have been bullet proof.  My son prefers the Montesa.  He rides Advanced and can hop the thing (front and rear) all over.  I ride Intermediate and prefer the Scorpa, but I'm 61.  We've ridden them at a monthly Trials event for almost the entire time we've had them and both have been across the Five Miles of Hell half a dozen times.  The Montesa has a little bigger fuel tank, as in in capacity, and will go a little farther on a tank of gas.

The Scorpa has the better clutch.  No drag at all.  I run Maxima lite 75 wt oil in it.  The Montesa has a little more drag, sort of like a Beta.  I run Valvoline ATF in the red bottle in it and it has less drag than it did with the Maxima.

The Montesa clutch will squeal a little once in awhile when you are really playing it hard at low RPMS trying to get max power.  It's something they all do. 

The Montesa is a little more old school in design, with the forks raked out slightly more than the Scorpa, but my son says it makes it more stable in the turns. The Scorpa is a little steeper.

Is one better than the other, I guess it depends who you talk to, but both have been great bikes. Don't know if this helps or not.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.

post-57-0-90815900-1458676241_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-61069100-1458676252_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. It's looking like the scorpa is the likely choice, if I'm honest I was hoping for the Montesa but the price is too high, 03 models advertised for nearly £3000!! Is there any difference between scorpa year models? Which would be the best to go for ideally?

I have a 2005 SY250 with the Yamaha engine and I really like it. It will be a good bike to beat up for a year or two while I learn some bike control before I buy a new bike. 

Edit: I meant to also post the guy I bought from is a friend and he replaced with with a 4RT. I find the 4RT much harder to ride, but I can't put my finger on it. Probably something to do with my noob level of skills. 

Edited by coop650

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies!

I ended buying an 04 scorpa, took it out for a quick ride yesterday, it's very different to the sherco I used to have! The power delivery is super smooth. Is it possible to adjust the power? Will give it a few more rides but I might like it a bit more snappy.

I do need to replace the fork seals, does anyone recommend a parts supplier in the uk?

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

• 5 weeks later...