Light Front End Ty175

shipdamite

Hello,

Did my first trial in almost a year at the weekend and really enjoyed it ... my TY is spot on, aside from one annoying characteristic - it is light on the front and tends to rear up on hill climbs etc.

I fitted the twinshock shop triple clamp which helped a bit, as did raising the bars 20mm ........ Not mad keen on doing the swing arm extension modification.

Any other tricks to overcome this?

I tried my Mates Bultaco, and that felt really planted and only raised the wheel when it was intended.

I have put quite a bit of effort into getting the bike right, but this fault really has me thinking that I need a different bike.

cheers

Andrew

Lifting the bars will contribute to lightening the front end by shifting your weight backwards, having to lean forwards/down a bit should load up the front more

Only other thing you can try is altering the bikes stance, either run longer shocks or slide the forks up through the triple clamps more

• Like 1

If you really don't want to do the swing arm mod.

Then try useing a dt 175 swing arm.

You will have to redo the tabs onit but it's longer then a ty arm

Just use a an early dt.

By lenthing the swing arm will help keep the front end down on the hill.

• Like 1

Before substantially altering the geometry of the bike, I'd consider the effect of practising with it as it is (mind you, I did find pushing the forks up through the triple clamps helpful on my TY).

Skill and technique counts for a lot. I dare say if you handed your bike to a regular first class award winner in your local trials you would see that it can be ridden up steep bankings with little bother.

• Like 6

Hello All

Many thanks for all your useful suggestions. I looked at the bike earlier today. wheel is back into its adjustment, so nothing to be gained there ..... whilst the bars are raised (15mm as it works out), it does allow more fork to be pushed up, and that is already done .... and the betor shocks are the longer ones and the pegs are the sammy miller jobbies - it looks like everything is as it can be, without doing the swing arm mod / moving shock mounts etc ..... so, the reality of the situation is that I need to get more talent and work around the 'problem' ...... as otherwise, its a great bike.

maybe my 6ft 2 inch 14 stone frame might be an issue, but I can't help that :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

cheers

Andrew

I don't follow your logic. My theory is that a tall rider can move his weight further forward and back to control grip/front wheel rearing.

Whilst the riders CoG will be higher his weight still operates through the footrests so if we assume he is heavier than a short rider then the CoG of the bike is effectively fractionally lower. It will be the position of the CoG of the bike that affects front end lightness?

Discuss☺

• Like 1