Can You Help Me To Identify My Ty250

andyhall

Hi, i have recently purchased a ty250 with gold rims and white subframe with red fork sleeves.....from photos it looks like an 88 but the frame plate indicates probably an 85. frame plate 59N 001661. I suppose that the frame may have been resprayed/painted although the decals look original.

The bike seems quite under

powered from what i remember from 250s from my youth and seems to have many false neutrals...?. However i like it a lot. Am brand new to trials although have been riding 35 yrs....I understand it is 50-1 oil mix......?

Edited by andyhall

Hi Andy,

I know bugger all about the 250, but can confirm that 50:1 is what I use with castrol power 1 2t oil in my 175. its a good oil, and what I have used for years in trial, enduro and chainsaw engines.

I use castrol power 1 10w 30 for the gearbox after trying atf and putoline light gear oil. The castrol gives the best operation in my opinion - atf and putoline were both a bit 'juddery'

Hi and thank you for your wisdom. I will go for the castrol power1 in both cases then and use these as my gauge and best starting point. it has only been used by me and my son last Friday as i have only had it a week...i found out it does not have an air filter in ......i know i am a prat for not checking first but at least it may be a reason for feeling a bit underpowered with a week mix. Thank you again for your experiential advice...i hope to use this bike for many years to come and it seems a very tame beast to learn to trial with.

An 88 TY250 will have a white frame, white forks and silver wheels. Gold wheels and red forks indicate that yours is 86 or earlier.

You can use this site to indentify it by frame number  http://www.yamahaty.com/english/serieen.html

Or by looks http://www.yamahaty.com/english/tymonoen/tymonoen.html

I'd say that you have an 85 and someone has painted the frame at some point.

This site http://www.tytrials.co.uk/is a great source of many OEM parts. Hope this helps

• Like 1

'Experiential' - good word ..... thanks for that!

on the carb side of things, its very well worth renewing all the old O rings in the carb; this made night and day difference in how my 175 ran, as did new reeds and an airfilter.

'yambits' are also a good source of parts.

• Like 1

hey again and thank you AGAIN..... I concur that the bike probably has had the frame painted white and should have been red!I am not sure how to reply to individual responses to you guys so just want to say Thanks.I will try yambits and replacing those items in the carb..hopefully liven her up a bit. Am glad u liked experiential...hope it is a real word..?. great forum and great help.... cheers to you. both.

• Like 2