Alberta Canada Newb

brass

Hello Everyone.

I just wanted to take a moment to say hello and introduce myself. After years, well decades really, of wanting to learn some of the skills required for trials, I recently went and purchased a very well used and possibly worn out trials bike. My knowledge base when it comes to this type of riding and the bikes themselves would not even cover the bottom of a thimble, but I'm eager to learn.

The bike I picked up, as I said is a very well worn 2001 GG txt 250. Being 15 years old and having suffered a bit of neglect, there are some items that need repair and replacement but it's coming along.

For myself, I'm not in much better shape I'm sad to say! Mid-40's with bad elbows has me stepping away from singletrack riding to focus more on trials in the hope of developing my skills so that I spend less energy riding. I also hope that trials will be less stressful on the torn up tendons and ligaments. Not to say that I don't expect some pain, just that I will be closer to the truck when it happens!

I'm riding in the Calgary, Alberta, Canada region where there is a small trials community. With a bit of luck I will be able to find some locals that will help me learn some new skills and cure any bad habits.

Hey Brass,

Have you checked out the ATRA website or Facebook page? Or perhaps closer to home the Moto Trials Riders Group of Alberta website or Facebook page?

The Facebook page is probably best for watching people posting planned rides if they are going to Exshaw or Wildrose or elsewhere.  We just finished 10 indoor rides through the winter (6 of those training and 4 free rides just north of Innisfail on Friday nights at a horse riding arena with our homemade obstacles.

Six of us just returned from Jordi Pascuet's training centre in Spain (great teacher and all-round great guy and he and his sister Dolores treated our group from Canada extremely well).  As well some of us plan on attending the Ryan Young's course again near Spokane, Washington during Labour Day long weekend.

Check out the MTGA Facebook page for details and the You Tube Channel to see some of the Indoor and outdoor stuff from the last year.

Peter

Search for Moto Trials Riders Group of Alberta in Facebook

or

www.mototrialsalberta.com

Alberta Trials Riders Association (ATRA) - Home of the sport ...

You tube - mototrialsgroupalberta

Thanks Peter for the links,

I did know about the ATRA but the website does not appear active. I signed up for the forum a long time ago but the moderators have never completed my registrations so .....

Hopefully this season will permit some extra time to improve my riding and skills along with meeting some new people to learn from. With the condition of my elbows, I thinking of moving strictly to trials riding to allow them to heal. Such a move may require a new(er) more reliable bike to help keep me motivated as I get easily distracted.

I'll dig into the MototrialsAlberta site and see what I can turn up!

I got hooked up on the mototrialsAlberta site and look forward to meeting some of the folks on there. It's a nice day, perhaps I'll even try to get to the enduro course after work to play around a little.

If anyone sees a clumsy looking newb with an orange helmet picking up an old Gasser off the ground, stop by and say hello!