Ptb Mapping

caddy4u

Not wishing to appear insensitive at all, but i used to send my PTB back to MSport to get my maps changed! Does anyone know another option?

With total respect to a much missed Munch I have in the past happily changed maps for local riders/friends at no cost as it takes about 20 mins to swap maps. If you want something special then that's a different matter.

I know other dealers offer to remap PTBs if you cant find a local friendly Mont fan who could help you out for the cost of a pint.

• Like 3

No need for insults.

I made my initial post with a couple of fellow trials riders looking over my shoulder, they thought it was pretty funny.

Part of the joke we were sharing was having to send an EFI part away for adjustment, so much for EFI needing less attention than a carb. Both these riders share my views on EFI, fine on their cars but they don't want it on their trials bikes, one owns a GG the other a Beta.

Cornishtwinspring calling me a luddite, coming from a twinshock owner / rider that takes the biscuit.

• Like 2

Not wishing to appear insensitive at all, but i used to send my PTB back to MSport to get my maps changed! Does anyone know another option?

You can get the cables and cd from a few places. There are plenty of maps on the internet but changing settings is easy also. The cables plug into the fuel pump plug, the red plug in the boot, and connect to a car battery and a computer. Simple to do and takes no time at all.

No need for insults.

I made my initial post with a couple of fellow trials riders looking over my shoulder, they thought it was pretty funny.

Part of the joke we were sharing was having to send an EFI part away for adjustment, so much for EFI needing less attention than a carb. Both these riders share my views on EFI, fine on their cars but they don't want it on their trials bikes, one owns a GG the other a Beta.

Cornishtwinspring calling me a luddite, coming from a twinshock owner / rider that takes the biscuit.

You only have to usually change a map out of choice and not necessarily as routine maintenance

And the more experience in maps usually the better the job

And one of the most experienced chaps was munch

Sadly this experience has now gone

I've spend hours messing with carbs , leaking petrol , running rich/lean

Not any more due to Efi

Some folk are not computer savvy the same as some don't know about pilot and main jet sizing , float level ect

Don't worry I'm guessing you'll be getting electricity round your parts pretty soon

:)

Edited by toneh
  • Like 3

Sorry I should've have clarified, I'm not looking for anything special, I have 2 softer maps on at the moment for the wet season and am looking to get one replaced for a full power map if anyone can help?

You can get the cables and cd from a few places. There are plenty of maps on the internet but changing settings is easy also. The cables plug into the fuel pump plug, the red plug in the boot, and connect to a car battery and a computer. Simple to do and takes no time at all.

Thanks, you're always pretty helpful on my posts! Do you know where I could get the leads and cd from please?

• Like 1

No need for insults.

You don't have to send a EFI body away, quick clean every 12 months job done. Not cleaning carb every few weeks. So is much easier.

If you want to tweak you can but its not compulsory

How many people can jet a carb to suit what they want, How many people swap carbs? With a  PTB anybody can tweak the bike to suit how they want it to ride so you are missing a big point. Just down load a map and see if you like it. Worse case you pay to acquire the software and leads or you pay a nominal fee for somebody to swap maps. Best Best case your buddy does it for nowt   

PS

The loss of a true gent who had trials at his heart is not a subject to joke over what ever the inaccurate technical point you are trying to get across. Bit like your entry fee post  seems the general consensus seems to be get out and smell the coffee cos your talking from a point of weakness//ignorance  (cant decide best description)

• Like 4

Thanks, you're always pretty helpful on my posts! Do you know where I could get the leads and cd from please?

I know Future and Mitani both have them but not sure about who in the UK does. I bought the cd from Future. They came with my bike but lost mine :angry:

Here's one someone made on thumertalk: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1071987-10-pgm-fi-hrc-tuner-tool/

Edited by s.e.lucas

You don't have to send a EFI body away, quick clean every 12 months job done. Not cleaning carb every few weeks. So is much easier.

If you want to tweak you can but its not compulsory

How many people can jet a carb to suit what they want, How many people swap carbs? With a  PTB anybody can tweak the bike to suit how they want it to ride so you are missing a big point. Just down load a map and see if you like it. Worse case you pay to acquire the software and leads or you pay a nominal fee for somebody to swap maps. Best Best case your buddy does it for nowt   

PS

The loss of a true gent who had trials at his heart is not a subject to joke over what ever the inaccurate technical point you are trying to get across. Bit like your entry fee post  seems the general consensus seems to be get out and smell the coffee cos your talking from a point of weakness//ignorance  (cant decide best description)

I have 6 vehicles with EFI and somewhat more than that motorcycles or plant with carburettors so I am in quite a good position to comment on their relative merits. I also have diagnostics equipment such as scanners, Oscilloscope and injector test equipment for EFI. The main problem with carbs is lack of knowledge of those attempting to work on them. I have a 1997 motorcycle and apart from a balance after running in the carbs have never been touched, I have a 1978 Honda, the carb has been stripped once. On my trials bikes I hardly ever strip the carbs and by hardly ever I mean never or several year intervals.

Regarding entry fees - I will post again on that topic.