Forma Boulder Boots

shipdamite

Hello,

I have finally destroyed the sidi couriers that I was using, so time for my first 'proper' trials boots.

The forma boulders look a good boot - any views on this boot, and is the sizing accurate? ..... loathe to buy boots off the internet and they don't fit.

thank you

Andrew

Bought a pair in june 2015, I normally take a 11 (46) and the size was spot on, they have been worn pretty much every weekend since and are now just about ready for replacing, boot itself not too bad but one of the seams coming apart. They get wet every time then dried with newspaperin and treated with dubbin but I would have expected them to last longer. Don't know if others will say similar but I'm trying a different make next time.

I've had a pair for about a year now and really like the fit.

The toe box area is fairly stiff which helps against rock on toe injuries.

The soles have worn quite a bit as they have a lot of time walking/setting sections mostly in rough granite rocks and sand but I also ride 3-5 times a week.

I wish the buckle systems were not plastic but aluminum or steel.

But spare parts are available including the soles which have a nice design to them where they have an extra hard rubber area where your boot normally rides on the foot peg.

I've seen other boots wear completely through in this area.

I was on the fence between the Gaerne oiled and the Forma's. I went with Gaerne because I was able to try a pair on and could not find the Forma's anywhere. Lots of folks seem to really like the Forma's though. 

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

forma-boulder-trials-boots-e63.jpg

Just got my Forma Boulders run-in, took some 3-5 rides at least. They are a bit too rigid on initial use.

After run-in I can tell Boulder are very good boots. Comfty, sturdy yet flexible enough for excellent feedback. Sizing is spot-on in my case. I like them being a high profile, I've had many injuries with lower boots hitting the spot that is now covered with Formas.

One small negative: while I really like the "pump" design bottoms that gives more air to the bottom of your feet, IMHO it's made a bit too flexible and too slippy - when I push in my feet normally I can push it in too much forward so it folds in front of your toes. Takes an awkward movement with your toes to put it back into place, LOL. Or put in my feet more carefully also avoids this. I hope they fix this small "issue" in the future Forma model. I'd make the soles slightly softer too to dampen the vibrations more, but this would mean they'd wear out quicker too, hence not sure what they can do about this. Maybe being too fanatical, but a gear-shifter layer on top of the left boot wouldn't hurt too in the next update - currently the black aluminium grinding spot from the gear lever doesn't look particulary tasty on that nice brown leather  :)

They are not fully waterproof of course. Considering using Nikwax one mine, anyone nikwaxed their for waterproofness?

Edited by tsiklonaut